Transmission conversion costs

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

88m6

Transmission conversion costs

Post by 88m6 »

What is a cost range for conversion from A/T to 5speed.
I realize there are lot variables but with so many A/T cars available at lower cost than 5 speeds(and usually in better condition) trying to see if it's more cost effective to get a good lower mile AT car n have conversion done.
Never did one so curious on reasonable Indy costs to do the project.
TIA
dwcains

Re: Transmission conversion costs

Post by dwcains »

You'll see 5-speed conversions for sale most often on mye28.com, as there are many more E28's still out there, and as far as price range you'll see maybe $500 - 850 for all the parts. Can't guess at labor time and costs, as it's quite variable by region, and this is also one of those jobs when it's nice to have a relationship with a good, honest shop. For example:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=143457
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

LarryM

Post by LarryM »

You can probably keep the price for parts well under $1000 if you're able to locate a donor car with a good transmission, but chances are you'll want to buy some new parts anyway (such as a clutch and maybe a driveshaft) to avoid finding yourself under the car soon afterwards to replace normal wear items.

For over a year I've been accumulating everything needed for my swap; I didn't have a donor car, so working with RealOEM I started making a list of all the parts needed. I had to buy many new bolts, nuts, washers, etc. which added to the total cost.

I haven't added up all the receipts but by the time I'm finished I'll have close to $2K just in parts. That includes a low mileage Getrag 265/6 w/ bellhousing, a brand new BMW driveshaft w/ new guibo and CSB, resurfaced M5/533i flywheel, good used shifter with new shifter support and all new associated hardware, good used pedal box (with Dave Pepin reinforcement plate), new clutch master and slave cylinders, new clutch fork, new Sachs clutch kit, new seals for tranny and rear main, new hydraulic lines for clutch, plus nuts, bolts, special sealants and lubricants, etc.

It adds up quickly!

However I do believe the value of excellent condition, rust-free E24s (particularly manuals) is on the rise, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "investment", there are much worse things to spend money on than a properly-done 5-speed swap in one of these cars. Total cost will still be no more than a rebuild on an automatic tranny. It adds immensely to driving enjoyment too; I've owned my 635 for over 15 years but didn't realize what I'd been missing until I purchased a manual 535is a few years ago.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Larry, I think thats one of the best write ups I've seen on the 5sp swap. You covered it all. I feel like Im a bit behind you in aquiring all the "stuff". Mostly the new washers nuts etc etc etc. Nicely put. I wish I saw that 4 years ago, when I was contemplating this roller coaster.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen