AC Air Conditioning Recharge Fitting Sizes

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bellwoods

AC Air Conditioning Recharge Fitting Sizes

Post by Bellwoods »

Hello all

I have a 1988 633csi and am contmeplating doing some work on the air conditioning system.
As far as I can see the original R12 system is still in place and charged (although perhaps a bit depleted).

My questions are:

1) Is there any difference in the fittings used in the AC systems of European (specifically 1988 635csi) vehicles vs North American?

2) Will vacuum pumps, gauge mnaifold sets, recarchargers etc that are sold for servicing AC in North American vehicles work in the BMW or are metric adapters required?

3) Are adapters required and if so any advise on what sizes, where to get etc?

4) I have found the low pressure port any hints on where the high pressure port might be hiding?

PS: I am already aware of differences (and issues) with R12 vs R134 - I intent to work with the original R12 system if possible

Thanks in advance
raykoke

Re: AC Air Conditioning Recharge Fitting Sizes

Post by raykoke »

I don't know the specific answers, but if the fittings etc. match N.A. cars, in U.S. most of the auto parts chain stores will loan you a gauge set and vacuum pump for nothing.

If similar up there, no need to buy 'em.

Good luck,

Ray
'85 ///M635