inside a Behr/Bosch Wing Cell Compressor

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

johnn635

inside a Behr/Bosch Wing Cell Compressor

Post by johnn635 »

BMW say this compressor fitted to M635Csi is not R134a compatible. I have it apart to replace all the seals with Green R134A seals. Everything else is metal, so it can only be a question of pressure/vs speed i.e. R134A effectiveness.
However, there is one item inside the compressor which no-one has ever mentioned. Between the body of the inner vane compressor ( proper translation of 'Wing Cell') and the outer housing ( which is at high pressure) there was a heavily disintegrated plastic open foam, dripping in oil. What is this?
I propose to replace it with a stainless steel pot scourer, of the sort that turns into an open filter when mangled a bit ( see photo)
Old plastic foam vs mangled scourer
Old plastic foam vs mangled scourer
IMG_0364.JPG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
Anyone actually KNOW, what it does, or can make an intelligent guess.
John
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: inside a Behr/Bosch Wing Cell Compressor

Post by sansouci »

Is there a standard set of the proper size green seals to rebuild the compressor?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
johnn635

Post by johnn635 »

Yes, I bought mine from Celer AB in Sweden a long time ago. I think they are the seals that 4 Seasons use to rebuild their range of compressors. There is also a seal kit for the shaft, also green R12/R134a. However, there is no mention in either kit of the presence of the plastic gauze.

I am by now fairly certain that this is 'proprietary' information, since no-one in the world has given me an answer.

My best guess is that it serves to hold the oil in such a way that the outgoing compressed gas is in contact with as much as possible, promoting oil circulation and preventing 'pooling' in the botttom of the compressor. As such, my pot scourer should be an improvement.
John
johnn635

Post by johnn635 »

FYFI the seal kit is from Sandtech MT2107
John