Bought a Getrag 265/6

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

hesvid

Bought a Getrag 265/6

Post by hesvid »

Just bought a BMW Getrag 265/6 for dirtcheap that seems tight and ok. I hope to put it in my 635csi '83 this winter.
I know that this gearbox came on some E24s in 82 and 85. I think this came from a E32 735i M30

What more do I need to fit this with my M30? Will fit in my ' 83 with standard propshaft?

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bought a Getrag 265/6

Post by wattsmonkey »

Prop different between 265 and 260 equipped cars.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Just looked at photos - I'm assuming it's the right bellhousing with the sensor holes. You'll need the mounting crossmember and the clutch pivot. I think the clutch itself is the same, but you can check this easily on realoem of course.

From my experience, this box is great, but really does need tight bushes and benefits from Redline MT90 to quieten it down and reduce baulking when cold.

Good find!

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
hesvid

Post by hesvid »

wattsmonkey wrote:Just looked at photos - I'm assuming it's the right bellhousing with the sensor holes. You'll need the mounting crossmember and the clutch pivot. I think the clutch itself is the same, but you can check this easily on realoem of course.

From my experience, this box is great, but really does need tight bushes and benefits from Redline MT90 to quieten it down and reduce baulking when cold.

Good find!

Rob
Thanks for all the information! Anything I should service before installing it? I will NOT try to open it of course, but is there anything I should do a "service" on before I install it?

Thanks again!
imissedtheapex

Post by imissedtheapex »

hesvid wrote:
wattsmonkey wrote:Just looked at photos - I'm assuming it's the right bellhousing with the sensor holes. You'll need the mounting crossmember and the clutch pivot. I think the clutch itself is the same, but you can check this easily on realoem of course.

Good find!

Rob
Thanks for all the information! Anything I should service before installing it? I will NOT try to open it of course, but is there anything I should do a "service" on before I install it?

Thanks again!

gear oil, selector bushing, seals, and check for any looseness in the output shaft.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Certainly not from an E32 as it has the sheet metal shift console there...
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
hesvid

Post by hesvid »

imissedtheapex wrote:
hesvid wrote:

Good find!

Rob

Thanks again!

gear oil, selector bushing, seals, and check for any looseness in the output shaft.
Thanks!
hesvid

Post by hesvid »

tschultz wrote:Certainly not from an E32 as it has the sheet metal shift console there...
The shift console might have been changed since it's been in a E30 since the previous owner had it.