Door Buzzer operation?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Door Buzzer operation?

Post by songzunhuang »

I need help figuring out the operation of my driver door buzzer. I recently replaced an ignition switch and for some reason the door buzzer now activates whenever I open the door, regardless of whether or not I have a key in the ignition. Previously, it would buzz if the door was open and the key was in the ignition. This made sense as it prevented my accidentally leaving the key in the car when I exit. Now it's just driving me crazy since it buzzes all the time. So the questions are:

1) What is the proper operation of the door buzzer? Should it buzz even with no key in the ignition?
2) If buzzing at all times is the way it works, can I rewire it so that the buzz only happens with a key in the ignition?

BTW - it seems that the passenger door doesn't affect the buzzer at all. It's just the driver side.
Appreciate any help. Thanks.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Door Buzzer operation?

Post by MrE »

I can't help, other than to comment that my car (86 model) has no door buzzer. I did not think these cars had that feature?
smtguy

Post by smtguy »

I saw the same thing after replacing my ignition switch! Since I hate buzzers, it was an easy decision just to disconnect it. To answer your question - it is supposed to buzz only when the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open (passenger door makes no difference).

Good luck,
Scott
1983 Bronzit 633CSi 5 speed
2004 Audi TT Quattro 6 speed

Scott
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Buzzer is now disconnected. I didn't have the patience to figure out a rewire.
It was simple to drop the lower cover and pull one wire off the silver square that was buzzing.

Life is more calm now.

Ironically, I spent the time to harvest the extra red/white wire from my old ignition harness and re-install it on the replacement. Of course, this wire is the one causing all the buzzing. ](*,)
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Devildog0341

Post by Devildog0341 »

My door buzzer only works if you flip the drivers seat forward with no key in the ignition. I think its possessed with a tormented german soul. lol
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Devildog0341 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 am My door buzzer only works if you flip the drivers seat forward with no key in the ignition. I think its possessed with a tormented german soul. lol
Hahahahahaha
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Utern

Post by Utern »

HI Guys,

I also had this problem with my 1982 633csi, It turns out that the adjustable steering column is the culprit and when the steering wheel has been been pulled forward (towards the driver) the door alarm buzzes when the drivers door is open whether the key is in the ignition or not. In my case when I push the steering wheel all the way back in (away from the driver) it works correctly and only buzzes when the key has been left in the ignition and the drivers door is open.

Hope that helps others that are having this issue

Utern
1982 633csi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Utern wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 pm HI Guys,

I also had this problem with my 1982 633csi, It turns out that the adjustable steering column is the culprit and when the steering wheel has been been pulled forward (towards the driver) the door alarm buzzes when the drivers door is open whether the key is in the ignition or not. In my case when I push the steering wheel all the way back in (away from the driver) it works correctly and only buzzes when the key has been left in the ignition and the drivers door is open.

Hope that helps others that are having this issue

Utern
Weird, I'll have to give that a shot. I wonder what could explain that behavior? I don't think there's an electrical connection related to the steering adjustment. However, I do have my wheel pulled forward a bit. Something to try next time I think about it. Thanks for the tip!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
v-wiz

Post by v-wiz »

I completely removed my buzzed, sooooo annoying. Mine was buried behind the cluster.
panthercity

Post by panthercity »

My door buzzer was apparently added as part of the federalization process based on the shoddy nature of the wiring under the steering column. Hard to believe the PO put up with it for 20+ years considering it took me all of 10 minutes to remove it.
'85 635CSi Euro