My new lightweight HP Starter

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TBM

My new lightweight HP Starter

Post by TBM »

Hi Gents,

I know I'm posting in a few places but I don't have a project started really and I do things as they come up. I spoke to a fellow that is an engineer and has done a lot of work to his M635 and he complained that rebuilding the starter wasn't yielding great results for the long term. I do need a new starter and I took the chance to shed some weight off the car as well... 3.5KG

WOSP starter 1.jpg
WOSP starter 1.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 7691 times
WOSP 2.jpeg
WOSP 2.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7691 times
WOSP 3.jpeg
WOSP 3.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 7691 times
WOSP 4.jpeg
WOSP 4.jpeg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 7691 times
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
ericono

Re: My new lightweight HP Starter

Post by ericono »

Cool find, and I love the saving in weight. Does this bolt on or require any additional modification?

Thanks,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
TBM

Post by TBM »

ericono wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:27 pm Cool find, and I love the saving in weight. Does this bolt on or require any additional modification?

Thanks,

Eric
The original battery cable doesn't reach. I am going to splice a pre-made cable onto it by soldering and heat shrinking. Other than that its a pretty straight forward affair.
'84 M635csi
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Is the bolt pattern the same dimensions as a stocker?
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
TBM

Post by TBM »

bpoliakoff wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:52 am Is the bolt pattern the same dimensions as a stocker?
Fits right in.
'84 M635csi
ericono

Post by ericono »

Checking to see how you have been liking the new starter over the past few months and also to ask where you got it from? I didn't see any US distributor.

Thanks,

Eric
BillDe

Post by BillDe »

Yes, interested in feed back on the starter.
TBM

Post by TBM »

ericono wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:57 pm Checking to see how you have been liking the new starter over the past few months and also to ask where you got it from? I didn't see any US distributor.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric,

No US distributor.. I have fitted it but have so much to do with a full Emtron standalone and probably a rebuild that I wont be starting her anytime soon.. I did speak to someone in the UK that has it on his racing S14 and he said it works really well and has been for two years now..
'84 M635csi
ericono

Post by ericono »

TBM wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 am ...but have so much to do with a full Emtron standalone...
This is interesting, how did you decide on the Emtron system rather than Haltech or other options? Looking forward to hearing more details on this. I'd like to do a stand alone system as well.

Thanks,

Eric
TBM

Post by TBM »

ericono wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 pm
TBM wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 am ...but have so much to do with a full Emtron standalone...
This is interesting, how did you decide on the Emtron system rather than Haltech or other options? Looking forward to hearing more details on this. I'd like to do a stand alone system as well.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric,

I was sold on the Emtron because it has all the options that of a motec that is about 5 times more expensive without having to pay to upload more "firmware". Motec does have great customer service that is really second to none but if you have a great tuner and don't have to run gnarly complex maps for newer platforms you get immense value and flexibility.
'84 M635csi