OverHeating Issue

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bostn635csi

OverHeating Issue

Post by Bostn635csi »

Hello
Having some overheating issues. Seems to happen when in heavy traffic. As soon as I get some air to the front of the car the temp goes back to normal. Mechanic replace clutch fan as well as thermostat. Temp is still a bit high when the car sits and idles. Never reaches the red. Could it be the head gasket? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Kevin
1988 BMW 635csi, 5-speed
Lachsilber
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: OverHeating Issue

Post by hornhospital »

Your fan clutch is failing. Overheating when stopped is a sure sign it's not pulling enough air through. It 'locks up' (not really, but it engages more firmly) when the temperature goes up, and free-wheels when it goes down such as when you have air moving through the radiator at road speeds. When they fail they free-wheel all the time.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

635CSi usually has a two-speed electric fan as well as a viscous fan. Probably (even if the viscous fan is OK) the electric fan should help out and it isn't kicking in at the right time, or at all.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
vietrice4ever

Post by vietrice4ever »

Hi Bostn635csi,
Hope your problem fix. I been having same problem, I don't know what to do. I changed radiator, water pump, fan clutch and thermostat twice. freeway driving without any problem only locally streets.

Please let me know how did you get it resolve.

Thanks
glenns0245

Post by glenns0245 »

Im having the same issue. After testing my aux fan and finding it works well Im moving on check the aux fan switch. Thinking that the aux fan isnt kicking on.