SLS 115 Bar Switch/Sensor Leak Repair

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MSGGrunt

SLS 115 Bar Switch/Sensor Leak Repair

Post by MSGGrunt »

The sensor on my 1987 M6 SLS pump is leaking and a replacement not available. Originally I guess the plastic end with the electrical connectors was crimped tightly into the metal body of the sensor. Over time this seal is no longer tight and the fluid that is under pressure has been leaking.

I looked for a new sensor no matter the cost and everyone who had them listed on their sight did not actually have them in stock. I even searched multiple dismantlers who specialize in BMW with no luck.

My solution was to try and encapsulate the switch and stop the leaking. This was my procedure:

1. Remove the sensor.
2. Clean multiple times with brake cleaner to ensure any residual hydraulic fluid is gone.
3. Blow dry with compressed air. If you don't have an air compressor canned air used for cleaning computers will work.
4. Sand the round metal body section with 400 grit sandpaper. This will help give the epoxy something to bond to. I hope.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. Use a half wide strip of duct tape around just the wrench flat areas to build up a "stand-off" thickness.
7. Use full width strip of duct tap to create a dam if you will to hold the epoxy ensuring you do not cover the spade connectors entirely.
8. Fill the cavity with epoxy resin. I used Loctite I bought at my local big box store. The key is to ensure it has a low viscosity so it will fill all the voids.
9. Fill slowly to avoid air bubbles.
10. Let sit for 30 minutes.
11. Remove tape.
12. Let sit and fully cure for 24 hours.
13. Reinstall.

I am in the 24 hour waiting period right now and will report back my results after I reinstall the sensor and give it a test. Fingers crossed this fix works.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (117.06 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (94.19 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (107.05 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (174.18 KiB) Viewed 2010 times