5-speed swap: does it add to car's value?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

LarryM

5-speed swap: does it add to car's value?

Post by LarryM »

I've owned my E24 for over 20 years and am seriously considering a 5-speed swap. In fact, I have virtually everything needed to do a top-quality swap including a good Getrag 265/6, new driveshaft, clutch, and many other new parts.

I generally don't think of the cars I own as investments, but realistically the day may come when I'm forced to part with this car. It's in sufficiently minty condition where it may be a future collectible, even with its auto trans. Some potential buyers may actually prefer that it have its "born-with" transmission rather than having been reconfigured into a manual-trans car.

How much do you think a 5-speed swap will add to (or detract from) the value of a car like this? Do you think I'd be better off selling the car as it is, to someone who will appreciate it in its current form, and then going on the hunt for a E24 factory-equipped with a manual? Or, since I know the car's history and have maintained it for so long would it be wiser to just keep the car and do the swap?
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
brickwhite

Re: 5-speed swap: does it add to car's value?

Post by brickwhite »

If you have everything you need then just swap the tranny. 265 is what an 85 would have had from the factory.

I don't think you can detract money after you do a manual swap. Unless someone does it poorly and the car no longer functions.

I don't think there is a big market for people wanting an Auto e24... If I look for one the first thing other than rust is what tranny is in it.

my .02
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

In Oz, there were only automatic cars imported. Manuals, especially a dogleg, command a premium. That's why I chose a dogleg ;)
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
603racing

Post by 603racing »

From what I have seen in the US, it usually adds to the value. However, the collection of parts for the swap are worth quite a bit themselves.
'85 635csi - Dark Shark
'16 F150
'13 Subaru BRZ
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

buy the bits for the conversion and sit on them. There will be one of three outcomes

1) you will make your mind up
2) the car will make your mind up for you (the autoboxes do break occasionally)
3) you will sell the car with the autobox still fitted, at which point you can sell the manual conversion kit separately if you want.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Thanks for the replies. I do want to keep the car and do the conversion, and I probably will.

I'm just a little apprehensive about finances right now; my daughter just started at university and the costs are a little scary. But I've gone through tough times before. I guess I'll just have to find a way to make more money so I can keep my toys.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS