BMW M88 small coolant hoses

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TBM

BMW M88 small coolant hoses

Post by TBM »

Hi guys,

looking for some help. I am planing on switching to an electric water pump. When doing so I wont need the use of the thermostat. That means that the small hoses running from the expansion tank to the radiator and the thermoses hosing would need canceling. Can anyone please explain their function and how I could possibly redesign.

Many thanks.
Small Cooland hoses.png
Small Cooland hoses.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4207 times
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: BMW M88 small coolant hoses

Post by Da_Hose »

The small hoses do the self-burping. I would not lose them, unless you figure out a way to make the new electric pump the lowest point in the cooling system. Why do you want to convert to electric water pump? On this car I don't seean advantage to that.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
TBM

Post by TBM »

Da_Hose wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:02 am The small hoses do the self-burping. I would not lose them, unless you figure out a way to make the new electric pump the lowest point in the cooling system. Why do you want to convert to electric water pump? On this car I don't seean advantage to that.

Jose
Hi Jose,

Thanks for the infomation

I am going to use Evans anyway. No pressure buildup. I will be mounting the pump low anyway..
'84 M635csi
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I switched over to Evans as well. Be advised that I had problems with the thermostat. My solution will be to change out the thermostat valve altogether with one I bought off ebay. It has to be a normally open valve, but others have confirmed we can just wire it straight to the stock harness without problems.

Be sure to put a high volume electric fan in front of your condenser too. I put in a 16" Flex-a-Lite with it's own power feed straight off the battery. I use the normal power feed to switch the ground on the circuit. It works awesome, and was easy to mount.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
TBM

Post by TBM »

Da_Hose wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:16 pm I switched over to Evans as well. Be advised that I had problems with the thermostat. My solution will be to change out the thermostat valve altogether with one I bought off ebay. It has to be a normally open valve, but others have confirmed we can just wire it straight to the stock harness without problems.

Be sure to put a high volume electric fan in front of your condenser too. I put in a 16" Flex-a-Lite with it's own power feed straight off the battery. I use the normal power feed to switch the ground on the circuit. It works awesome, and was easy to mount.

Jose
Thanks Jose,

When you switch over to a Davies Craig with its own temp sensor that acts like a thermostat you eliminate the Thermostat/Pump altogether. Im switching both the clutch fan and the condenser fan to Spal or equivalent. So one less pulley smaller belt to alternator and IF i get brave I'll line up the steering pump with the Alt and tension off either one...But I don't want to take too much on at the same time. I need to find an OEM looking solution to to run to the heater supply line and off the blanking plate where the pump is currently. I'll post when I get going
'84 M635csi
ericono

Post by ericono »

Please keep us posted on your progress on this. I have pondered the same thing myself. I assume you are doing it to have less drag on the engine, or some other reason(s)?

Thanks,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3