Engine running rough, light smoke out of exhaust

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

smracer9

Engine running rough, light smoke out of exhaust

Post by smracer9 »

My 87 M6 has been sitting for 6-8 weeks while i got the time to change the steering pump. When I started it up it was running rough and smoking lightly. I pulled the plugs and they have oil on the threads. I have some idea's about what has happened but would like other idea's before I dig any deeper.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Engine running rough, light smoke out of exhaust

Post by Pod »

Valve guide seals?
smracer9

Post by smracer9 »

thanks, I'll add to list
TBM

Post by TBM »

I had some smoking issues to say the least...my oil consumption was high
All I can tell you is that you should start by using Bestline additive to see how it work of you..the stuff really works..I'm amazed. I've spoken to the rep at the office and since I'm in the Cryo industry I was curious to see why it worked so well so they sent over the lab testing white papers.

https://www.racingadditives.com/product ... oz-bottles
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

TBM wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:11 pm I had some smoking issues to say the least...my oil consumption was high
All I can tell you is that you should start by using Bestline additive to see how it work of you..the stuff really works..I'm amazed. I've spoken to the rep at the office and since I'm in the Cryo industry I was curious to see why it worked so well so they sent over the lab testing white papers.

Interesting. How does this stuff compare to Sea Foam?
TBM

Post by TBM »

Pod wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm
TBM wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:11 pm I had some smoking issues to say the least...my oil consumption was high

Interesting. How does this stuff compare to Sea Foam?
I really don't know.. Ive never tried sea foam. All is know is what i've experienced. Two things to consider:
1. According to Bestline and the research paper I saw the additive has a way of of filling some voids on the surface of the metal. We used to deal with another company the disappeared a while back that did the exact same thing.
2. One of the problems with our piston ring design is that over time they accrue a lot of carbon on the bottom seal. The new Designs alleviate that but this additive "may" be also cleaning the carbon buildup.

I can tell you that the valve guides are known to wear on our cars and IF thats the case you either pull off the head and take the chance after doing a valve job that you will almost certain to get blow by.

Either way, what have you got to loose, for under $20??
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)