Tach and heat gauge

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Ragierer

Tach and heat gauge

Post by Ragierer »

I have had this 1988 635CSI for about 3 months. Things are going smoothly but I seem to be at a stumble.

I have pulled the instrument cluster and sent it to programma for service then used someone to replace the gears in the speedo.

I find the tachometer and heat gauge to be intermittent or just non functioning.

I have to suspect I am doing something wrong. Any thoughts or guidance appreciated.

Car had been sitting for 5+ years when I got it.

Robin
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tach and heat gauge

Post by baders »

Depends which model it is. Early production models tachometer does not require SI batteries for operation. Tach/fuel economy and speedometer are inputs to the SI. Temperature gauge on the other hand, is reliant on the SI.

Late production models changed this such that tach/fuel economy gauges and temperature gauge are reliant on the SI processor.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Ragierer

Post by Ragierer »

I must not have been clear. SI board back from programma. The issues with the tach and heat gauge were present before I pull the si board the first time.
Looking for guidance down stream.
Thanks
Robin
1988 BMW 635
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Did Programa install the battery less board ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement