Wiring diagram for a/c and aux cooling fan for Euro '79

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

thehackmechanic

Wiring diagram for a/c and aux cooling fan for Euro '79

Post by thehackmechanic »

Hey, folks. As some of you may know from the multi-part series I've been posting on Roundel Online, I've been retrofitting a/c into my '79 Euro. The fellow from whom I bought the evaporator assembly included the relevant portion of the wiring harness. I figured out where it connects to the climate control panel and the compressor, but I'm a bit confused about many of the other connectors. I found a wiring diagram here on this site, but the colors aren't the same as the harness I was sent, and it references a relay in conjunction with the temperature switch on the radiator that I don't appear to have on my car (the relay; the temperature switch is there).

There are some other odd complications as well. My car came with an aux fan, but it was non-functional. The first thing I thought I'd do is simply connect the new Spal fan in place of the aux fan, but it didn't come on. I read about pulling the wires off the radiator switch and jumpering across it but that didn't do it either. Then I read about the mini fuse box mounted over the battery, and found that mine is missing, and the connector with the two yellow wires is just hanging. This car had been hit in the front at some point; it's likely the aux fan and its wiring was never put back together.

I'd like to understand how the basic wiring is supposed to work before I try adapting the a/c wiring harness. So... does anyone have a wiring diagram that covers both the aux cooling fan and a/c on a Euro '79?

And that relay that's described in conjunction with the radiator temperature switch... where's that supposed to be mounted?

Thanks.

--Rob Siegel
Author of eight books available on Amazon or at www.robsiegel.com

1979 Euro 635CSi
1972 2002tii, 1973 2002
1973 3.0CSi
1972 Bavaria
1999 Z3M Coupe, 1999 Z3
1974 Lotus Europa TCS
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Wiring diagram for a/c and aux cooling fan for Euro '79

Post by ron »

thehackmechanic wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:08 pm I'd like to understand how the basic wiring is supposed to work before I try adapting the a/c wiring harness. So... does anyone have a wiring diagram that covers both the aux cooling fan and a/c on a Euro '79?
Hi Rob,

Contact "olympia57" (Don). Many years ago I sent him some A3 blow-ups of the wiring diagrams from an early hand book (which took some doing as it was originally A5!)

I'll call him tonight and tell him to expect a PM.

HTH

Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I have the diagrams that Ron gave me . These are accurate and relevant to the E12 based car .
PM me if I can help.
Don
1981 635 series 1
thehackmechanic

Post by thehackmechanic »

Hey, closely related question: On the non-air conditioned wiring harness that runs down the right side of the engine compartment, the one that wires the temperature switch at the bottom of the radiator, it has a black wire with a male spade connector in one of those rectangular plastic housings that comes out right next to the a/c compressor. It looks exactly the same as the connector that's on the a/c version of the harness that IS the compressor connector. What is this connector for on the non-a/c harness? Or did ALL of them have the compressor terminal, even the non-a/c versions? And if so, where does it come out inside the car? In the a/c version, it terminates in a small two-prong snap-in connector whose slotted terminals are at right angles to each other. I don't see anything analogous in the non-a/c version. Strange.
Author of eight books available on Amazon or at www.robsiegel.com

1979 Euro 635CSi
1972 2002tii, 1973 2002
1973 3.0CSi
1972 Bavaria
1999 Z3M Coupe, 1999 Z3
1974 Lotus Europa TCS
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Rob, here's what I could find, doesn't "exactly" indicate that it's for a '79 Euro, but lists models from 630 CS thru 635 CSi, even LHD and RHD, so my guess is that all of this wiring is consistent between models, regardless of intended country or side of the pond :-k

Not sure about your specific related question, however, hopefully the answer can be found in these schematics [-o<

And when do we get to see pix of this beast :-?

:mrgreen:of
Attachments
Air Conditioner-LHD & RHD-#02.JPG
Air Conditioner-LHD & RHD-#02.JPG (280.64 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Air Conditioner-LHD & RHD-#03.JPG
Air Conditioner-LHD & RHD-#03.JPG (383.37 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Air Conditioner-LHD & RHD-#04.JPG
Air Conditioner-LHD & RHD-#04.JPG (321.76 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
1980 633 CSi schematics.pdf
(242.87 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo