Improved shifter feel 265/5

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

panthercity

Improved shifter feel 265/5

Post by panthercity »

My 85 635CSi Euro has its original 265/5 transmission with the sheet metal style shift mechanism. A couple of years ago I replace all of the small hardware associated with the shift linkage including rubber dampener that the sheet metal support rests on. The shift feel was improved but still seemed awfully loose by modern standards.

Recently the sheet metal ("shift rod" part#25111205386) broke apart at a weld toward the back and I replaced the unit with a new one. In the process of putting it back together I noticed the looseness or "play" in the shift mechanism was primarily on the x axis. If I pulled up on the shifter there was about 1" of play where the shift plate would rotate off the rubber dampener contributing significantly to the loose feel. The solution was to stuff a small strip of high temp sound deadening material through the shift hole back between the bottom of the car and the top of the rubber dampener. This served to dampen the movement of the shifter on the x-axis significantly. I think the shift feel is much improved.

Maybe this might help others looking for simple way to tighten up the shift feel on the transmissions with the sheet metal shift plates.
'85 635CSi Euro
LarryM

Re: Improved shifter feel 265/5

Post by LarryM »

When you say "rubber dampener", are you referring to this item #10?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=25_0145

That goofy rubber piece is a weak spot in the overall design of the sheet metal shifter console; it's too flexible and offers little in the way of support. The remedy involves replacing it with a more solid rubber part; I've been told this item #14 works well as a substitute:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=13_0329

I'm putting parts together for a manual swap and am thinking about using a G260 transmission mount (this item #2) instead, which I think will work even better. Click on the pic and you can see what it looks like:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=23_0386
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
panthercity

Post by panthercity »

@LarryM - Yes, What I was calling a rubber dampener is #10 on the diagram ("Stop Buffer"). Thanks for the tip on the possible substitute.

Have you considered using a solid AL shift arm instead of the shift plate?
'85 635CSi Euro
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

No, when I do the swap I want to configure the car the way a manual-tranny version was in '85. Going for as much originality as possible. Besides, I haven't seen any convincing evidence that the aluminum shifter support offers any significant advantages; in fact some people seem to prefer the sheet metal one.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I've used 318 tranny mounts instead also... and they are $7

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-parts ... 71220~mey/

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
panthercity

Post by panthercity »

@brickwhite - Can the 318 tranny mount be used without any modification to the 2 holes the threaded ends go through? Also, did you add a nut on either end to secure it or just leave it floating?
'85 635CSi Euro
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

It will need nuts on both sides. Pretty sure if fits in the top mount just fine you'll see once you try to put it in there.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic