Starter harness name?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

AlexTheBeaner

Starter harness name?

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

Hey guys,

So, I'm still trying to get my car running (it's been almost two years now). I finally found a mechanic that would drive to my car's location to diagnose it. It turns out that fuse #10 (Instruments, on-board computer, auxilary fan fuse ) once is place in, makes the car crank. It's pretty crazy, the ignition doesn't have to be on to even get it started, just by simply placing the fuse in will get the car cranking.

We chased the cable and it ends at the starter from the fuse box. We decided to give it a couple of more cranks and the harness that goes from the starter to the main ECU gets hot for about halfways then the rest of the cable stays cool. The mechanic said that there's some kind of short cut between the cables or something is touching one another (inside the harness), it seems that it was common (I've searched a couple of threads here). I was just wondering what is the name of that cable harness that runs from the starter and goes to the ECU just in case I have to buy one.

He is going to come back today and strip down the entire wire harness and see if there is a cable touching another cable or if something is ripped. I will keep this thread updated on what happens today. If someone has encounter this and has some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Car is 635csi manual built in August 1985.

Best,

Alex A
raykoke

Re: Starter harness name?

Post by raykoke »

Well, I suppose that is this:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=12_0836

Looks NLA.

Fix whatcha got :)

Cheers,

Ray
'85 ///M635
AlexTheBeaner

Re: Starter harness name?

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

raykoke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 am Well, I suppose that is this:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=12_0836

Looks NLA.

Fix whatcha got :)

Cheers,

Ray
Yes sir!

P.s if anyone has one laying around, please pm me!