m635 Exhaust options and Supersprint install

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Re: m635 Exhaust options

Post by DRPM635CSi »

ron wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 am I bought a full M88 Fritz's system about 2 weeks ago. You could cut your finger on the inside of the ports. I smoothed everything with a high speed grinder and small flapper wheel.

I contacted Richard and he apologised and was going to have a stern word with his sub-contractor.
Yep, similar to my experience. The product is not properly finished ready for install as you get them. There is quite a bit of reworking required to bring them up to a suitable condition depending on the extent of your own personal OCD before you go and install.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

brickwhite, you plan on reviving this thread after all of your engine work is complete :-k

Still hoping to see this completed as well, not for me, but for a friend [-o<

He needs to replace everything from the headers back, as well :-({|=

So I thought I'd bump this one up :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

soon... Very soon.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
cofred

Post by cofred »

If anyone is interested, here are some pics of mine. Supersprint straight pipes back from the stock headers to Supersprint resonator and Stebro muffler.
Attachments
56331311331__1EE2A2A5-A598-4A37-9F62-87BD6D665ECC-2.jpeg
56331311331__1EE2A2A5-A598-4A37-9F62-87BD6D665ECC-2.jpeg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 9712 times
IMG_0874-2.jpeg
IMG_0874-2.jpeg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 9712 times
Heath
'85 M635
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Thought I better get these (German/Chinese/whatever) euro headers on while I have access and the transmission is out.

remember these.. They were scratch free...

Oh Man this was a project... Hardest thing so far. #-o took about 6 hrs or more.

I read where others put the two header pipes together and was able to fit them from the bottom.... I had no luck with that.

So I tried just the front one.... NOPE

Then just the rear one.. . NOPE

So I ended up installing the rear pipe and then lifting the engine with the Cherry picker about 5 inches to fit the front while both were not on the studs.

Then your 24 copper 9mm nuts some you can get to with at 1/4 ratchet some you cannot and have to use a small 9mm spanner wrench.

Have some 6mm flange nuts on hand just in case you bodge up the copper nuts.

Couple things that helped
- Cut the tabs between the pipes that were there for fabrication
- little anti-seize or lube on the studs.
- Make sure your stud threads are clean
- Cussing and swearing a lot.
- A second person to hold the pipe would have been nice.

I needed a cold one after that... it was to early no beer or whisky yet. Later

on to the rest of the exhaust once I get the transmission and driveshaft in

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I have the Euro/ebay headers installed now I'm laying out the full supersprint exhaust. But ran into a couple things.

They don't send you any exhaust Gaskets... They send you mounting bolts and clamps for the muffler but no gaskets.

WTF!

So I'll need some rubber hangers, Tri-bolt gaskets, and doughnut gaskets.

and the pipe seems to be 45mm so I'm assuming it's the 18111723541 doughnut gasket

but there is also a 47mm gasket.... hmm....

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Installing the supper sprint...

SuperSprint does not supply any gaskets and the bolts are limited..

This is what they give you minus the donut in the picture and I think I had used 3 bolts they included.

You will need....

- An assortment of Bolts m8x45,M8x65, or 70mm etc, stainless with copper nuts recommended.
I went the the local hardware store and bought some 5/16" stainless because they were 1/3 price of metric,these were which were too long and went back to my metric bolt bin and put in what I had..

Stainless bolts with copper nuts was one (only)set they supplied. Ideal usage but expensive.

- 1 Tribolt gasket 45/47mm opening, BMW PN - 18301723886

or

- 2 Sintered Iron donut gaskets I picked up at FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) for $4.99 each. or BMW pn-18111178222

- 2 BMW muffler hangers (I had to order).... I hear for $2 more the BMW OE ones last twice as long....

Fitment...

Seems to fit pretty good the long pipes from the headers are labeled Left and Right.

My high tech temp pipe hangers.... Romex to the rescue

What super sprint gives you to hang the rear muffler...

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
brickwhite

Re: m635 Exhaust options and Supersprint install

Post by brickwhite »

it's in... but need to tighten/straighten things up... it kind of leans toward the left.

The headers are really close to the steering center link. I don't have the heat shield and they are NLA, I'll try to make one.

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

I’m keen to learn how the Supersprint sounds, Brickwhite.
E24 M635CSi
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

Cool stuff Brickwhite, you certainly have a lot of $$ invested in your exhaust system. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on performance and sound.

I did my full (mandrel) stainless system from the Ireland Engineering headers all the way to the tailpipe inexpensively and was pleased how it all came out.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I'm a big fan of Supersprint; I have one of their systems on each of my cars. Don't know how many E24 owners are aware of it, but they supply this very nice "track pipe" setup that bolts right up to Euro downpipes on one end and the resonator on the other. I have one on my E24 and am also ordering one for my E28. "For off-road use only", of course. :-"

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw-6 ... erter.aspx#!/
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I am surprised that you guys don't at least look at Billy Boat Tri Flo. Polished 2" stainless and made right here in AZ. I have been to the factory and have the product on my car as well. Interesting story. There was on my car when I bought it. The resonators had been bottomed out and were pretty grungy. I asked them if they would refresh the system and they said yes so I brought the whole thing to them. After a few back and forths starting at $250 and ending at $375 after I pissed them off a few times by calling them regularly to see if it was ready, which I went along with, when I went to pick it up, after waiting several months, they had given me a complete new system. I would say that says it all.To be candid, it's almost to pretty to use!!
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Years ago when I was shopping for an exhaust system for my E24, I looked into Billy Boat; their systems do look impressive and very well made. I also like the idea of supporting an American company that produces quality products. I don't recall ever driving a car with a BB, but the only real complaint I've heard about them is that they're quite loud and give off a resonance at certain RPM. If you prefer your car louder, I suppose that would be fine; however I suspect some users feel they're a bit too loud and that's why they pop up for sale every now and then. I ended up buying a Supersprint for my E24 and have always liked the refined sound it delivers, without being overly loud or obnoxious. I also like the apparent quality and the fact that I never had a fitment problem with either of the two systems (E24 and E28) I've installed.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

I bought a set of new BB headers and exhaust on another car and was impressed with their quality, the price is fair is well.
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Erm, is it just me, or has the M635CSi (M88) option disappeared from the Supersprint website?
I can only see the 628/635 (M30) options...….
E24 M635CSi
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Soperman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:51 pm Erm, is it just me, or has the M635CSi (M88) option disappeared from the Supersprint website?
I can only see the 628/635 (M30) options...….
I could only find three options for LHD S38 cars.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

I am surprised that you guys don't at least look at Billy Boat Tri Flo
Bert, one word, glasspacks [-X

Or is that supposed to be 2 words #-o

Larry is spot on, even though he has not actually been in a 6er with a BB system installed [-(

I went to great lengths to "tune" my BB system to something that was finally tolerable, without the drone of those crappy glass packs ](*,)

All that's left now from the original system is the rear muffler section :-&

Sorry to say, but if that's what you have and have yet to actually drive your 6er and get some time behind the wheel, you may be in for a surprise, and not a good one :-({|=

Brick, indeed, nice work, been anxiously waiting for the completion of your project, so that I can forward on to lurker ONEBADM =D>
Bobbo
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I drove it with them before tearing the car down and never noticed it. Could be I only drove it a few times before tearing it down and was too excited to pay attention or could be my hearing aids aren't tuned to that frequency. However I bought the car from a friend and had been in it more than a few times but never on extended drives and never was bothered by it. Maybe from my old hot rod days when if you didn't have glass packs you were not one of the "guys' Or even prior to that when it was true hot rods with flat head ford V8s and straight pipes. The picture is of me in an old Miller I bought for $200 with a loaded Merc flat head. I used to "borrow" the plates off my mother's car and go "riding' in it. Unfortunately almost every cop in town new my father. When I went off to school I came home for vacation and guess what wasn't there. I would be counting stacks of money now if I had that car today. That was one of many that followed Those exhaust systems are probably why my hearing became fubarred
Miller1.jpg
Miller1.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 9259 times
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Uh, yeah, looking at where that exhaust exited, i bet your hearing is a bit off #-o

The drone is frequency and RPM specific, for me it was around 2K to 2200 RPM, most noticeable when just tooling around town :roll:

Sure, if you zoom up through the rev range, you could pass though without a hitch :-"

But it's also more of a "feel", as anything in the interior that wasn't absolutely nailed down, would buzz [-X

I have also heard that B&B has gone to great lengths to try and calm things down, but at the muffler end of the business, not where a resonator should be :-?

Just went on their website, and it appears that they are still using glass packs :(

Well, you'll know soon enough, right [-o<

Brick, sorry about stealing your thread, but worth discussing =D>
Attachments
Glass packs.JPG
Glass packs.JPG (16.42 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Bobbo