Programa SI board install, and new electrical gremlins.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dffrntwn

Programa SI board install, and new electrical gremlins.

Post by dffrntwn »

Tech help, please. 1984 633csi, manual transmission.

I replaced the SI board with a new Programa unit today, and after careful reassembly and installation of the gauge cluster, I started the car and lot's of weirdness ensued.

No dash or center console lights would come one, and even worse the engine would not shut off when I turned the ignition off.

Next, I disconnected both battery cables and the engine just kept on running like normal. So the key and battery are both shut off and the engine is still running as if nothing is wrong!

I finally pulled the large blue multi-pin connector plug off the back of the gauge cluster and the engine immediately shut down as it should with the key off. Reconnected the battery and started the car again with the blue plug disconnected from the gauge cluster and it shut down normally when I turned off the ignition key.

I thought the new Progama board might be faulty, so I reinstalled the original SI board and the same exact results. The engine would not turn off unless I unplugged the gauge cluster.

Two days ago the car ran perfectly, other than the typical old SI board issues. So something happened during install. A relay got damaged, or???
1984 633csi 5-speed, (1982 Honda CR250, 1982 Toyota Pickup, 1981 Lancia Zagato Spider, 1964 MG MGB Roadster).
raykoke

Re: Programa SI board install, and new electrical gremlins.

Post by raykoke »

Well if I were you I'd look over the disassembly/assembly instructions here, and see what I may have plugged in wrong :)

http://www.odometergears.com/

GL,

Ray
'85 ///M635
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

Happy holidays. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to hook up any wires incorrectly since each is a specific type plug with color codes and different types of connectors that aren't interchangeable. I've triple checked all connections and they are installed as they were intended from the factory. What else could cause a drastic change in the way the car runs in such a simple repair?
1984 633csi 5-speed, (1982 Honda CR250, 1982 Toyota Pickup, 1981 Lancia Zagato Spider, 1964 MG MGB Roadster).
raykoke

Post by raykoke »

That's pretty odd.

Call Programa. Maybe it's the wrong board.

... the car continuing to run after you removed the battery cables illustrates that your charging system is working ;-)

Happy holidays!

Ray
'85 ///M635
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

dffrntwn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 amI thought the new Progama board might be faulty, so I reinstalled the original SI board and the same exact results. The engine would not turn off unless I unplugged the gauge cluster.

Two days ago the car ran perfectly, other than the typical old SI board issues. So something happened during install. A relay got damaged, or???
That'd be my guess, since putting the old board back in it changed nothing regarding the 'continues to run' problem.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
raykoke

Post by raykoke »

hornhospital wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:29 pm
dffrntwn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 amI thought the new Progama board might be faulty, so I reinstalled the original SI board and the same exact results. The engine would not turn off unless I unplugged the gauge cluster.

That'd be my guess, since putting the old board back in it changed nothing regarding the 'continues to run' problem.
Oh I forgot about that. I miss my short-term memory!

:)
'85 ///M635
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

Yes, I talked to Programa, and they said there's no way either board could keep the car running and defeat the ignition key in that scenario. One thing I noticed though is that if I disconnect only the large blue multipin plug from the back of the gauge cluster the car shuts off as normal and restarts as normal with the key. Which relay should I look at first, and where would it be located?
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

dffrntwn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 am Next, I disconnected both battery cables and the engine just kept on running like normal. So the key and battery are both shut off and the engine is still running as if nothing is wrong!
Never a good idea to run an engine with the battery disconnected................
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

](*,)
Last edited by dffrntwn on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

Pod wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 am
dffrntwn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 am Next, I disconnected both battery cables and the engine just kept on running like normal. So the key and battery are both shut off and the engine is still running as if nothing is wrong!
Never a good idea to run an engine with the battery disconnected................
Agreed, it was only disconnected for less than a minute to try and get the car to shut off since the key wasn't working. Any ideas on the relay that might have shorted out?
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

Found this on another forum that had someone with the same issue: "When the car does not turn off, unplug the instument cluster and the car should shut off. If so there is a bridge in the cluster. Open it up and see if you find and burnt spots. If not needs new cluster!"
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

Just a follow up so others know the solution. I installed another good used main circuit board with the Programa SI board and pretty much everything works normally now. Still not getting a speedometer reading though but that could be the sensor in the differential.
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »

Speedometer seems to have a burnt resistor, maybe more damage. Looking for another one that's in operational condition, face numbers are K=7313 EG.
dffrntwn

Post by dffrntwn »