Exhaust Gaskets

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Landsnark

Exhaust Gaskets

Post by Landsnark »

So I just dropped the cat on my S38 so that I could change the O2 sensor. I'm running down the gaskets I'll need for reassembly. There are 2 between the cat and the resonator/muffler section - 47 and 50 mm. And allegedly there are 2 donuts between the cat and the manifold. I say allegedly because my car has NO gaskets between the cat and the manifold. Huh?

I haven't noticed any leakage, but then again, I've never heard or even seen another S38. I'm going to order the ones Pelican says I need, but has anyone ever seen such an arrangement?

And while we're on the subject - does anyone have any input on the service life of this gigantic cat? I'd hate to go through all of the trouble of bolting it back in if it is on its last legs...

Thanks all!
Bryan
-----------------
1987 M6
2009 128i
603racing

Re: Exhaust Gaskets

Post by 603racing »

My first question would be, do you have to have it by law where you live? If not, bye bye cat.
'85 635csi - Dark Shark
'16 F150
'13 Subaru BRZ
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

According to State of Washington emissions website, apparently not, since it's exempt from smog checks:

"Certain motor vehicles are exempt from smog checks in Washington at this time. These include: Motor vehicles less than five years old or more than 25 years old."
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Landsnark

Post by Landsnark »

Well, losing the cat would mean custom made intermediate pipes, with an O2 bung. I'm not ready to go that route, unless someone tells me that these cats are known for plugging. The matrix looks unbroken, but because of the curves in the inlet/outlet I can't shine a flashlight through to check for plugging. I'm going to ass-u-me that it is not plugged but probably not cleaning up the exhaust much either. Back in she goes.

As for the gaskets, they were there on the ends of the header. I overlooked them because they aren't the donut style after all. Instead they are about 1mm thick and were firmly stuck in the header flange (well camouflaged!)

Thanks all!
Bryan
-----------------
1987 M6
2009 128i