Clutch & Shifter Questions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

PhoenixOp

Clutch & Shifter Questions

Post by PhoenixOp »

Finally picked up a 1985 635CSi Euro spec 5 speed car and have a couple of questions already.

1. The pressure (release) point on the clutch is about 2" off the floor. Is this correct? I'm used to those being closer to center-of-travel or the top.

2. The shifter seems a bit vague, stiff or notchy. Sometimes it's a little temperamental going into gear, specially 1st. Is this normal (boy, I hope not).

Any help would be appreciated as this car is new to me

Thank you all,

Mike
Mike Drives: :D
BMW's...
1980 633CSiA
1985 635CSi (EC)
1985 635CSiA
Plus:
1 - E31
2 - E32
1 - E34
3 - E38
3 - E39

Also:
67 Buick Rivera
99 Mercedes Benz SL600
02 Mercedes Benz SL500
07 Mercedes Benz CL600
14 Dodge Dart Rallye XT
15 Ram 3500
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clutch & Shifter Questions

Post by hornhospital »

Nope and nope. The release point should be about halfway, like you've experienced before, and it sounds like the clutch isn't releasing. Could be throwout bearing, could be insufficient slave cylinder travel. Try bleeding it before anything else. May be something as simple as a little air in the line.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if the clutch is not releasing fully then gear selection will be iffy, especially getting into first gear.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PhoenixOp

Post by PhoenixOp »

Thank you gentlemen.

Ken; Once I bleed the system, if it should not solve the issue, is there an adjustment process? I vaguely remember something about pulling driveshafts and exhausts to work on transmission things. I really hope not. I replaced the driveshaft on my 850 and it's not a "fun" job.
Another question: I use a Motiv pressure bleeder on my brake systems, can I use that for the clutch bleeding process as well, since I tend to work alone most of the time?

Brucey; After the trans warms up a bit, the shifter action improves. I don't know if I'm just imagining it, or it really does, but it seems to. Could it be old grease or something on the linkage, that isn't real happy with lower temperatures? If so, would cleaning and re-greasing help. Can I even get to the linkage without doing the dreaded driveshaft/exhaust job?

The last manual I drove some 25+ years ago, had a non-syncro first gear, so by first putting it into 2nd, then 1st it eliminated the grinding. I have tried that trick with this car when first driving the car from cold and I have found I need to go into 3rd first as I can't get into 2nd, then it seems to loosen up and makes going into 1st easier. Another symptom of a bigger problem?

This is the original clutch (214K miles). There is lots of information on my other post about this car in "Finally! '85 635CSi Euro-Spec-Stick!". When driving the car the clutch does not slip and grips extremely well,so I believe the disc and pressure plate are still sound. There is also no whining, screeching or humming from the T/O bearing, so I'm hoping with judicious driving I can put off clutch replacement for a while, but I really need to do something about the release point and vague shifting.

Thank you gentlemen. As always this is the place for "6" knowledge.

Mike
Mike Drives: :D
BMW's...
1980 633CSiA
1985 635CSi (EC)
1985 635CSiA
Plus:
1 - E31
2 - E32
1 - E34
3 - E38
3 - E39

Also:
67 Buick Rivera
99 Mercedes Benz SL600
02 Mercedes Benz SL500
07 Mercedes Benz CL600
14 Dodge Dart Rallye XT
15 Ram 3500
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

getrag transmissions of this vintage are somewhat baulky and if they have the wrong oil in them and/or are stone cold they are very baulky. Some folk swear by a redline oil in this sort of gearbox.

But anyway I wouldn't worry much about that until you have sorted the clutch out. Even the slightest drag from the clutch will make the shifting (esp when cold) pretty intolerable.

cheers
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Mike, there's no adjustment. Bleed it and see if it helps. Even if it doesn't, you'll know you have that off the possibles list.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

the only adjustment is at the pushrod into the MC. One way a clutch can go bad is if the pushrod is badly adjusted such that the compensation port isn't opened when the pedal is up.

Bleeding these clutches is made difficult by the run of the hard pipe, which is up and over. Very many approaches to bleeding are liable to be ineffective. Purging with a syringe from the bottom works fairly well.

cheers