85 M635 and the Miller War Chip

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

85 M635 and the Miller War Chip

Post by CSGuy »

The copy reads like it should do what I need...Anyone with experience?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: 85 M635 and the Miller War Chip

Post by Brucey »

what is it that you think you need, exactly?

IIRC there are easy (easier?) gains on a standard US-spec M6 via other routes. Simply setting up the camshafts and exhaust more like M635CSi will get you another 30-40bhp or so; the engine is mechanically strangled (vs euro spec) and if you want it to go better you need to be able to let more air through the engine. ISTR that there is enough headroom in the programming of the standard ECU such that you will get substantial benefits without reprogramming. Once you have an improved mechanical spec then custom mapping will make the most of it.

I'd also note that in practice many 'upgrades' are applied to engines that are not running properly in the first place, i.e. that have basic problems with the mechanical parts, airflow, or fuelling. Sticking go-faster goodies on such motors is pretty much a complete waste of time.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

Thanks for the wise comments :)

Originally I bought the car with the idea of moving the motor/trans to an E9...but the car's to straight and solid to part up and they were a force of their time.

I haven't gotten the car home yet but compression, leakdown and timing chains/gears look ok. I can't say more atm.
I've never had an M88 motor but what checking I've done also leads me to think it can produce more. Big problem is the car is in california and I'm reluctant to make the changes you speak of. The chips multiple tunes could make life a bit easier but I haven't been able to raise a reply from Millers sales/support peeps...And the claimed need to find an xp based machine is a pita.

I'll need to check these easier methods. I'm thinking moving it to another state may be the answer

Best!
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

The Miller setup have apparently a pretty good setup on the m6. Ive just put one on the e23 and u can do quite abit with it but u really need to install a wideband with a/f gauge. The biggest problem with the Miller is I can’t tune in real time and there is no way to “read” where the load points are without creating an artificial rich spike or something.

The only reason I put the Miller on is I had one lying around for ages. If I was buying brand new probably a cheap micro tech ecu or something may be money better spent.

On my m635csi I’m in the process of installling a haltech ecu with m30b35 loom and hardware from an e34 535i. Can run sequential fuel inj, individual coils, and no airflow meter/maf. Yes more expensive but will give me the best bang per unit of fuel meaning good power and some fuel economy
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6