Starter Help - 3 Questions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

e24mpwr

Starter Help - 3 Questions

Post by e24mpwr »

I'm installing a new starter on my M635, and hit a few things. I've gotten the plenum/etc. out of they way and now have acess to the starter/solenoid.

1 - Having trouble with the lower bolt - I know the upper is usually the hard one, but it was only finger tight... :shock: :evil: I can't quite get to the lower one - the factory 17/19 is too long and is interfered with by the steering linkage. I can just get a shorter one, but wondering if there are any tips on that one and the top (to tighten - lol) - access is really tight and wondering if there's a trick/tip I'm missing.
2 - Where is the ground cable that goes to the engine block? Is is on the passenger or drivers side and where?
3 - What is the gold thing (on the left of the image, which is the front on the driver's side) in the center of this line that goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It looks like another FPR, but is listed as a "Connection Piece" in RealOEM: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=13_0256 (#11). Not sure I have time or opportunity to get it, but wondering if I should proactively replace it since I can (the FPR was recently replaced, though it didn't seem to solve the issue I was having).

Any other thoughts/links/advice/etc. would be appreciated. I'm not completely helpless at Google, but wasn't able to find an M6/S38/M88 DIY starter R&R.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Starter Help - 3 Questions

Post by bpoliakoff »

I forget the exact name of the "gold thingy" on the left, but it is no longer used. It was supposedly stop any pulsating in the fuel line. I had one on my 81 euro and will not use it withthe fresh motor
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

You also need to put your LOCATION in your profile.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

ron wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm You also need to put your LOCATION in your profile.
um... OK - I'm in North Carolina, USA
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Lee, you need to put your location in your sig or profile, just helps us when people are looking for or trying to sell large items, like engines #-o

Don't have any answers to your questions, but as you are aware, you are in the right place for that =D>

BTW, did you even receive an email from me :-?

Sent you one after you, Dug and Gene showed up at my house, unexpectedly, a while back :-k

Come to think of it, I reached out to both of those knuckleheads, neither of them responded either :(

Anyhoo, hope all's well and you get your starter woes sorted [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Lee, go to your trunk tool tray and fetch the 17/19mm box spanner. It works a treat on the upper bolt WITHOUT having to remove the intake, but also is dandy for the lower one, too.

If you already tried that, a wobble extension works, but it's a pain to thread it in there.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

GRNSHRK wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:07 pm Lee, you need to put your location in your sig or profile, just helps us when people are looking for or trying to sell large items, like engines #-o

Don't have any answers to your questions, but as you are aware, you are in the right place for that =D>

BTW, did you even receive an email from me :-?

Sent you one after you, Dug and Gene showed up at my house, unexpectedly, a while back :-k

Come to think of it, I reached out to both of those knuckleheads, neither of them responded either :(

Anyhoo, hope all's well and you get your starter woes sorted [-o<
I don't think I did get an email - I hope you enjoyed the little shrine we left on your front porch :)

I don't mind putting my location in - not sure why that was the first (and only) thing offered in that post, nor why it was so emphatic.

In any case - I don't think there's a way to do the S38/M88 without removing the intake plenum. Once that was out access was pretty tight. Since the lower bolt was pretty hard to get to and the trunk tool was interfering with the steering linkage (too long) and I need to get some replacement hose for what came out of the bottom of the plenum at the autoparts store anyway, I grabbed a shorter set of metric wrenches that will become my traveling set, and the 17mm worked easily on the lower. It's a little lower profile at the tips too, so I'm hoping getting the top bolt back in (tightly this time...) will go smoothly.

What didn't go smoothly on this lovely Friday the 13th was that I apparently had the M30 starter I'd purchased as a backup had already been installed at this point. I guess I had that done a couple years ago and had just assumed that heavy box was the replacement, not the original. Sheesh. I'm hoping to get a reman Bosch SR441X in from AutoZone tomorrow, otherwise it will have to wait until after I get back from Asia next Sat. :(
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

e24mpwr wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:43 am I don't mind putting my location in.....nor why it was so emphatic.
Because it is a requirement on this forum.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

ron wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 amBecause it is a requirement on this forum.
Why is that relevant to this thread? I'd appreciate it if you'd move the housekeeping urges you apparently have to PM.