Engine swap or overhaul

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mhsshark

Engine swap or overhaul

Post by mhsshark »

Hello I'm new here, I got my 6 series about 2 years ago, I didn't drive it enough, its not the cleanest shark out there.
I always wanted to return it to former glory but I guess I didn't have the time for it.

Long story short, Car was driven for a while and came back with the engine jammed according to the mechanic, the oil pump was unplugged according to him. I still can't believe what happened but I guess I'm stuck with a Jammed motor. now, what are my options?
the mechanic suggest swapping a m30b35 from a 5 series and also says no wiring modification is required and he will use the b34 harness, its against what I read here. honestly I don't trust the mechanic that much but it isn't easy to find one who works on bimmers from where I'm.

My 6er is a Euro 09/1983 manual. VIN 8173677.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
09/1983 Euro Manual 635CSi
Ralph in Socal Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Engine swap or overhaul

Post by Ralph in Socal »

There is no way to "unplug" the oil pump. More likely someone drove the car without ever checking the oil and ran it completely out. The M30 (euro high compression motor in your case) is very robust. I have only seen bad blocks due to oil starvation. These motors are known to handle 500k miles with simple head/gasket refresh.

The B34 engine management is not ideal for running the B35. The B34 in your car produced 218(?) hp due to its total configuration. The B35 does nearly identical hp numbers, but again, due to it's total configuration. The b34 engine management is a downgrade to the B35 system so you will not be able to achieve the designed capability of the motor. You can make it run but not as well as it was designed to.

Sorry for that high compression motor

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
mhsshark

Re: Engine swap or overhaul

Post by mhsshark »

Ralph, thanks for the explanation, I will speak with the mechanic to find out what is he planning.

As for the overhauling the b34, is it worth it?
09/1983 Euro Manual 635CSi