Engine Oil Pump

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ericono

Engine Oil Pump

Post by ericono »

I have the oil pan off of my M88 (~80k miles). I plan to install a new sprocket and chain, and shim the oil pump down to achieve proper tension on the chain. So I have a few questions:

1) When pushing on the oil pump chain, what is considered an acceptable amount of movement before the chain becomes tight?

2) I actually have 2 different sprockets (and 2 different chains) with a different number of teeth on them. Is there a benefit to trying to run a larger or smaller sprocket? I would assume a smaller sprocket will turn the oil pump faster, pumping more oil, but can the pump be spun too fast?

3) "While I'm in there", is there anything else I should look to do? I haven't seen any overt issues with the pump so not sure if there is anything else I should do, but wanted to see what everyone thought. Looking at RealOEM, it looks like there is a spring in there (part 21). Can I/should I replace that as preventative maintenance?
Actually, looking at the pictures I took, my pump seems to look different to the design shown on the RealOEM site. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
ericono

Re: Engine Oil Pump

Post by ericono »

I found this image on a supplier site and it looks like the pump in my engine:

'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3