Tragic discovery with my M6

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tragic discovery with my M6

Post by Da_Hose »

Well folks,

I am here to regale you with a tale of woe. When I rebuilt the top end of my M6, I was unfamiliar with the quality of aftermarket parts, and relied on Pelican to supply me with all the bits I needed. One of those bits was a Reinz head gasket. After final assembly and running it, I learned from others that the Reinz head gaskets were of questionable quality, and that a genuine BMW would have been a better buy. Well, I have just realized that the coolant was foaming up in the reserve tank and it darkened. A sniffer (with liquid) head gasket leak test confirmed what I pretty much already knew, and now I have to take the top end apart again to replace the gasket. BLAH!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

My poor M6 just keeps taking hits. At least I am confident the dent in the side can be taken out by a local paintless dent removal company. The head gasket will just have to wait until I finish the mechanical rebuild of my 2002. Hopefully I can get that done by end of summer. Then the M6 can take up residence in the garage. Since I will have the M6 all torn apart, maybe I will take the opportunity to have the headers coated as well. Ah the joys of having cool stuff that is really expensive to have others work on for you. :-({|=

Jose
Last edited by Da_Hose on Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 M6 - My dream car
tschultz

Re: Tragic discovery wiht my M6

Post by tschultz »

Endless projects, I tell you. Just look at the lengthy tale of my 633, soon to be 535is. Well hopefully the madness is balanced out by the enjoyment when we drive them :mrgreen:
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Yeah they are awesome to have for sure. First world problems,eh? 8)

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Jose, VAC Motorsports in Philladelphia is the go to people for BMW motor parts. Shipper is using much of their products and he is investing many thousands into his motor. Do look into them for hi end rebuild parts
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.