Oil Not Registering on dipstick

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Hachi

Oil Not Registering on dipstick

Post by Hachi »

Need help understanding what is wrong - oil does not register on the dipstick properly.

I just did an oil change and added 7qts and it was barely reading in on dipstick. I added a bit more and still not reading. No leaks anywhere. Any ideas?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Oil Not Registering on dipstick

Post by hornhospital »

The dipstick tube has probably moved upward out of the block. Not out completely, but up enough to render the dipstick reading erroneous.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Hachi

Post by Hachi »

Checked and it seems to be in place. Would there be some sleeve that came off that is blocking the read?
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

If you have a replacement dipstick (made in china) it is known the dipstick may not be the correct length, therefore, doesn't read correctly. Make sure you have a correct length dipstick.
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Hachi wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:35 pm Checked and it seems to be in place. Would there be some sleeve that came off that is blocking the read?
There for sure is a seal under the handle to prevent vacuum loss. This could wiggle its way down the "stick" causing short insertion.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Hachi

Post by Hachi »

Thanks for the responses. I have since siphoned out the extra quart and will check the connection that feeds the dipstick in to see if I can find what is blocking the proper measuring of the oil.