Hissing noise under steering column

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Theantony

Hissing noise under steering column

Post by Theantony »

Hi. I’ve just noticed a hissing sound coming from to the right side underneath the steering column. I checked it and it’s a small air hose which is releasing air. It seems to be going into the back of the cluster. I can’t found anywhere what this is. Any help would be great. Cheers Antony
daz635

Re: Hissing noise under steering column

Post by daz635 »

Are you sure that it is releasing air and not sucking air in? This is the location of the vacuum line for the interior temperature sensor.
It moves air thru a sensor while the engine is running using manifold vacuum

The line may have come off the sensor or the sensor connector at the vacuum line my have broken.

Part number is 64111369828
untitled.png
'86 Euro 635 #1887204 Schwartz (086) Buffalo Schwartz Interior
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

Yes sorry it is sucking very slightly. Is this a good thing or bad. The sound is quit annoying.
daz635

Post by daz635 »

Ok if it is sucking then it is doing what it is supposed to do. It is a vacuum line connected to the inlet manifold

Is the vacuum line connected to the interior temperature sensor? You will need to remove the panel below the steering wheel to get to it

You should see something like the image below attached to the panel you have removed
VacuumThing.jpg
VacuumThing.jpg (106.58 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
I would guess if you can hear air movement that the vacuum line is either disconnected or there is a break where the line connect to the sensor

You should not be able to hear the air movement thru the sensor unless you place your ear close to it

If original the vacuum line will have a blue stripe on it.

I believe there is a restricting orifice in the vacuum line near the sensor which decreases the air flow. Without this the unit will function fine but the noise of the greater air movement will be louder There is also a small foam filter under the black rubber cap don't loose it if you pull it off.
'86 Euro 635 #1887204 Schwartz (086) Buffalo Schwartz Interior
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

So basically there cant be a fault at the manifold end, only the foot well end.

Thanks

Antony
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Theantony wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:46 pm So basically there cant be a fault at the manifold end, only the foot well end.

Thanks

Antony
If there was a fault at the manifold end, it wouldn’t be hissing at the footwell end 😉