Temp gauge problem. Ideas? 1983 635 euro

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

maestro84

Temp gauge problem. Ideas? 1983 635 euro

Post by maestro84 »

After the purchase of the car i started a full restoration what just got finished. I drive the car but the gaugue does not work (i saw it working once). When i turn the ignition key it moves up a little bit. If i ground the sender the needle doesnt rise. I checked the wires with DMM from the connector of the sender to the temp gauge's grounding legs and the contiunity is fine. I disassembled the cluster. If i test the needle with a battery it only redlines when i push it through halfway with my finger (i tested another temp gauge with the same result). The SI board was repaired by an expert. He put new batteries on the board too but the strange thing is that the SI lights are blinking sometimes or not turning on.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Temp gauge problem. Ideas? 1983 635 euro

Post by hornhospital »

I think you're looking at the wrong end of the circuit. Sounds like the sender is kaput, not the gauge.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
maestro84

Re: Temp gauge problem. Ideas? 1983 635 euro

Post by maestro84 »

hornhospital wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:50 pm I think you're looking at the wrong end of the circuit. Sounds like the sender is kaput, not the gauge.
Thats why im grounding the sender. It should redline the needle which means the sender is bad. But the needle doesnt move when the cluster is in the car. Anyway the sender is new and works for sure.