help identifying vacuum hose

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

cory58

help identifying vacuum hose

Post by cory58 »

Hello Big Coupe! I have been lurking since joining a few months ago. My small BMW fleet includes a '77 530i. I know it's not a coupe, but since it shares so much with early E24s I'm hoping my classic BMW brethren here can help me identify a vacuum hose I need to replace. I started at realOEM, but couldn't identify the hose or the lower part that it connects to. I haven't had any luck on firstfives and also searched here.

The first picture below has the hose I need circled in red. One end connects to a fitting on the top of the intake manifold. The second picture better shows where the lower end of the hose connects. The thermal reactors, air pump, etc. were removed by the original owner. Any help identifying the hose or the lower part it connects to would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Cory

ImageBMW E12 vacuum hose 1 by cory58f5, on Flickr

ImageBMW E12 vacuum hose 3a by cory58f5, on Flickr
'77 E12
'88 E30 Touring
'92 E30 Cabrio
'15 F30
Jono B good

Re: help identifying vacuum hose

Post by Jono B good »

Wow looks like it connects to the intake manifold to use recirculated warm air to help with cold start valve upon start up? As for replcement you could easily get away with a fuel rated hose/tubing. That looks like an M20 engine if I'm not mistaken or that an M10?
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Cory, wrong forum. Go on the "First Fives" forum. Strictly e12s and those guys know the e12s inside out
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
cory58

Post by cory58 »

Thanks for the responses. Per my first post, I asked the question initially on firstfives and did not get a response. The engine is an M30, in what I've always thought is the same configuration as a 630i.

Still hoping that someone with an early E24 can help identify the hose.

Cory
'77 E12
'88 E30 Touring
'92 E30 Cabrio
'15 F30
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Cory, go on bigcoupe as well. Look for a fellow goes by the name of "Brucey" he is very active and easy to find.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Cory, go on bigcoupe as well. Look for a fellow goes by the name of "Brucey" he is very active and easy to find.
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad »

:-k
DV
Motorsport & Vintage Coupes
ALPINA Oldtimers of Course...
BMW-Classic CCA
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

that is weird, I posted a reply to this thread yesterday and it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

IIRC it seems to be part #13 on this diagram?

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... r_hoses-3/

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Brucey would that hose #13 be used for the cold start phase? As in providing warm or more air with the cold start injector? Upon start up?
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I think it has water going through it, actually, but yes it is part of the system that allows more fuel and air into the engine when it is cold. Note that this part is only used on l-jet cars up to 1979.

Including date, model and regional variations here are at least twenty different specifications for E24, overall.

cheers
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

WOW dude what we do without you? On a side note thanks for the suggestion on swapping in a new ICV idles pretty good.

NOW Back to our regularly scheduled programing =D> LOL
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
cory58

Post by cory58 »

HUGE THANK YOU TO THE BIG COUPE BRAIN TRUST. I would have never found that hose on RealOEM. It's listed in the engine cooling section, but it's not a water hose. It's connected to the auxiliary air valve / additional air slide valve, which is also on one of the engine cooling diagrams. It's water-controlled, but no water flows through it. As Brucey wrote, it's part of the L-jetronic system for cold starts.

Thanks again!

Cory
'77 E12
'88 E30 Touring
'92 E30 Cabrio
'15 F30
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

ah, air not water..... No wonder you didn't find it before, it is on a page in the ETK that is labelled 'water hoses' or somesuch…. :wink:

cheers