IACV issues?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jono B good

IACV issues?

Post by Jono B good »

O.K. so my 6er has a low idle @ 500 RPM and has cold start issues, I have replaced the AFM and reset the swipers, I have replaced all vacuum hoses, new NGK spark plugs new air filter new distributor, wires, new battery, new fuses in fuse box. I am frankly running out of ideas here! When the IACV is hooked up it runs intermittently, sometimes engine will surge to 2000 RPM in hot weather! And it won't kick down either! Quite scary. Fuel consumption sucks so bad. I had to disconnect the IACV as the surge was not a good thing for my old M30. So now hard to start in the morning, and idle so low that I have to put the transmission selector at stop lights in N or P, as this keeps the idle up at 600. I am ready to adjust the freaking accelerator cable! IACV is over $985 plus taxes. I need suggestions please. [-o< Help poor old Sonja [-o<
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: IACV issues?

Post by Brucey »

probably you have got multiple issues with your engine setup. A very common fault with the ICV is that it becomes sticky in operation, which can lead to it jamming open. Clean it and make sure that the moving part, er, moves, and moves freely.

At least if it is jamming open it is probably trying to move in a sensible fashion, and there may be virtually nothing really wrong with it.

Without an ICV, getting a stable idle is a problem, (which is why an ICV is fitted in the first place) If you have a car with an autobox, PAS and AC, the chances of it being easy to drive with the ICV disconnected are about nil.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jono B good

Re: IACV issues?

Post by Jono B good »

Thank you Brucey I will clean it again, it seems to run intermittently, so it may be, I will have to trace all the wires back to ECU?
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~