Gemel Serpi Star ND5

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Candycj1

Gemel Serpi Star ND5

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi all

My car came to me with the above alarm installed - previous owner didn't use it as it apparently drained the battery (though he hardly used the car anyway - has covered about 100 miles in the last 5 years, mostly to and from MOT station for its annual ticket). Alarm was turned off at the unit via the key but also had some connector unplugged (to what i'm not sure - see below).

Now - the disconnected plugs of course were so brittle with age they disintegrated as he was showing me what he thought plugged where - consequently i have two sets of 4 wires with the same male / female connections but no obvious idea of what connects to what (the wiring colours don't match either). Turning the key on the unit activated it as in the fob buttons clearly armed and disarmed but didn't do the locking. I'm assuming (hoping) connecting these wires up in the right way is all that will be needed, but that's where i have some questions:

- might this actually be a dealer fitted unit? I believe the Gemel units were a dealer option and this one seems to have been there a while...
- what is the component that these wires are connecting to (below the plastic headlight cover as per pic)
- can i harm the system by trial and error connecting the wires?
- what's a more scientific way of working out what goes where?

Thanks
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gemel Serpi Star ND5

Post by bpoliakoff »

`A google search shows this information is readily available..
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

GEMEL Serpi Star ND 5 is all you have to put in the search bar. My personal opinion is to try to solve some of the problems yourself and familiarize yourself with various resources out there. I guess it is a challenge to get a 30 year old after market alarm system working properly, but personally I would bin it and go new. BMW electricals can get funny.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

thanks Bert - agree new is probably best but can't help wanting to try and fix stuff! Mainly wanted to know what the module / component was that it was connected to on the bulkhead under the light cover, wasn't sure if it was part of the alarm or part of the car..!?
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

hornhospital wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 pm https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7cJq1ZfvT6

hope that helps.
thanks Ken - actually i have that manual in hard copy (came with the car) but its the operating instructions rather than an installation doc - can't find the latter on the web hence the ask here...