Gearbox cooling pipes between auto box and radiator

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

plip1953

Gearbox cooling pipes between auto box and radiator

Post by plip1953 »

After 30 years on the car I finally decided that these should be replaced due to excessive corrosion on the originals. In more than 25 years since I bought the car, but even then I'm pretty sure corrosion had started to set in. And probably not long after that I cleaned them up a bit and painted them black, probably with Hammerite.

Since then the car had had very little use and further corrosion activity has been slow, but now they are probably beyond the point of retrieval (but not leaking or anything like that.

Anyway I visited my main dealer in Leeds and was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the two pipes was in stock somewhere in the UK, but the other was showing as not even being held in Germany. I feared that it had been declared N/A, but nevertheless asked the parts guy to make an enquiry. Part nos are 17221712292 (inlet) and 17221177271 (outlet).

In the meantime I took delivery of pipe no1 and noted that it was bright silver in appearance and with a seemingly totally untreated surface. Having heard nothing further about availability of the other pipe I took the opportunity to get the parts guy to look again on his system and he said it was now showing that one was available in Germany. So needless to say I ordered it straight away.

Yesterday I picked it up I had the pleasant experience of finding that this one was painted the same green as is routinely found as the colour of the brake pipes and fuel pieps that run the length of the underside of the car. Which seemed doubly fortuitous because only a month or so previously I'd sourced some green paint to use after cleaning up said brake and fuel pipes ( Land Rover Deep Bronze Green Code 619, as recommended to me by my local paint supplier). So hopefully this will be a close enough match to the colour used by BMW on the pipe just supplied.

And my real question is ....... has anyone encountered anything similar to this with these pipes. At the very least I am surprised that they have different finishes, but which is the regular one?
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi