m30/s38/m88 Oil pump concerns

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brickwhite

m30/s38/m88 Oil pump concerns

Post by brickwhite »

I ran across this article while looking for an oil pump rebuild tutorial.

https://www.p-m-tec.de/oelpumpenupgrade/

Has anyone had any issues with M30 oil pumps and rebuilding them?
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: m30/s38/m88 Oil pump concerns

Post by Brucey »

translated version

https://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv. ... enupgrade/

oil pumps wear out eventually and there are different ones of course. I don't know that there is a generic fault in the design of the pump, only that it is obviously one of the things that you need to be sure is working if you want your engine not to wear out. Same goes for any car really.

I do know that the chap that wrote that doesn't know everything there is to know; there is an oil feed to both the front and rear of the head, not just the rear. The reason why the pressure switch is on the rear is because that is the first place that sees very low pressure should the pump fail to deliver.

Note that one reason the oil pump wears is that is sucks unfiltered oil from the sump. The oil system also bypasses the filter when the engine is cold and the oil pressure is high. These things mean that the pump can (potentially repeatedly) suck rubbish up and through itself. I recommend fitting magnets to the oil filter housing and to the sump itself to prevent the worst of this. I think most of the wear debris comes from the valvetrain and the steel particles are incredibly hard. You would be amazed at how much of this stuff is captured by a magnet on the oil filter housing.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~