HELP Need California Trusted Shops

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

AlexTheBeaner

HELP Need California Trusted Shops

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

As some of you may know, I'm still on my M60 project swap. I'm currently looking for a shop who can do the transplant as I'm no ways close to be a welder. :oops: I found the guy on Stanceworks site with the black e24 who did the M60, I tried to reach him, but never got a response. Surprisingly, the car recently sold for 27k (Clean project). Anyways, for the people in California, any recommendations for trusted shops who can do the swap at a decent price?

I'm located near Fresno, so I can travel anywhere to LA or Sacramento or even further. Although, the closer, the better, but if the price is right, I'm okay driving a little extra. If someone would like to take this challenge upon themselves, please PM and we can work something out.

The only reason why I'm posting is because the local shops near me have not wanted to try to do this project, once they hear the word BMW, it instantly turns into a "no". [-( There was one shop, but would only do American engines, they didn't wanted to mess with Euro engines. I want to stick to the brand, as that is what I intended since I began to do this project.

M60
5 speed transmission
I have the wiring and ECU as well
other misc parts.
This swap was going to be for an e30, but the guy who sold it to me found an S52 engine and decided to go that route.

Regardless, thank you for any recommendations or any guidance. I'm really excited for this project as I haven't driven this car in almost 3 years!! :cry:

Cheers! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tommys 89 635

Re: HELP Need California Trusted Shops

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Probably check with other boards like e30 and maybe e28, I'd imagine many of shops in the LA would do swaps.

You can try checking with Frank Fahey Motorsports in San Diego? Maybe prices but he's good.

Good luck in your search
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
derrith

Post by derrith »

The drivers side exhaust manifold is the big issue with that swap. Plus relocating the brake system and abs pump. The m70 is an easier swap because the width of that 90* v8. It will basically be a custom fab job. Are you prepared for $20K plus to start at a decent facility?
1983 635csi
1988 M5
1991 850i
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

derrith wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:44 pm The drivers side exhaust manifold is the big issue with that swap. Plus relocating the brake system and abs pump. The m70 is an easier swap because the width of that 90* v8. It will basically be a custom fab job. Are you prepared for $20K plus to start at a decent facility?
I'm really prepared for anything. At the end of the day, you only get one first car, right? Mind-swell build it the right way.
derrith

Post by derrith »

AlexTheBeaner wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:55 pm
derrith wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:44 pm The drivers side exhaust manifold is the big issue with that swap. Plus relocating the brake system and abs pump. The m70 is an easier swap because the width of that 90* v8. It will basically be a custom fab job. Are you prepared for $20K plus to start at a decent facility?
I'm really prepared for anything. At the end of the day, you only get one first car, right? Mind-swell build it the right way.
Cool! It'll be a neat project then. Best of luck.
1983 635csi
1988 M5
1991 850i
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

derrith wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Much appreciated. I'm waiting on two local shops for quotes and two indies.. One I really trust, he does all swaps for e36s. We are collaborating and gathering as much info as we can to do the swap right... Do you know by chance if the stock m60 oil pan has good clearance? That's a big factor that will change the price on the swap.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

This is one of the best BMW shops in the greater L.A. area. They have a great reputation and I think they can handle just about anything. But be prepared to pay!

https://www.bavarianworkshop.com/
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

LarryM wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:15 am This is one of the best BMW shops in the greater L.A. area. They have a great reputation and I think they can handle just about anything. But be prepared to pay!

https://www.bavarianworkshop.com/
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
derrith

Post by derrith »

AlexTheBeaner wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 am

Much appreciated. I'm waiting on two local shops for quotes and two indies.. One I really trust, he does all swaps for e36s. We are collaborating and gathering as much info as we can to do the swap right... Do you know by chance if the stock m60 oil pan has good clearance? That's a big factor that will change the price on the swap.
No. That motor is front sump.

Your biggest issue is relocating the ABS, brake booster setup, and the steering column/steering box clearance. Super tight header path through all that. And if you modify factory BMW exhaust manifolds it will not pass California BAR inspection for being smog legal.
1983 635csi
1988 M5
1991 850i
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

derrith wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am
AlexTheBeaner wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 am

No. That motor is front sump.

Your biggest issue is relocating the ABS, brake booster setup, and the steering column/steering box clearance. Super tight header path through all that. And if you modify factory BMW exhaust manifolds it will not pass California BAR inspection for being smog legal.

That's interesting. Check this car out, it's being mentioned here before and the Stanceworks website. The seller is in California and passed the car with smog, it even stated that they will hand smog if the buyer is a California resident. It makes me wonder if they custom made a header or decided to cut the car just to fit the header. I also wonder if he had a hook up or simply didn't go with a referee and just simply smoged the car. :-k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-bmw-635csi-14/

So to be clear I will need?

oil pan
relocating abs
relocating brake booster
relocating steering column/steering box
Custom header

Thank you for your input.
derrith

Post by derrith »

You can see the e32/e34 v8 brake booster mounted in front of the fenders in that car. Note no detailed pictures of the engine bay. The non hydro boost power steering reservoir sticking up at an angle too.

And the oil pan should be fine.
1983 635csi
1988 M5
1991 850i
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

derrith wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm You can see the e32/e34 v8 brake booster mounted in front of the fenders in that car. Note no detailed pictures of the engine bay. The non hydro boost power steering reservoir sticking up at an angle too.

And the oil pan should be fine.
Definitely, that's what we figured. I actually ended up finding an old colleague that works on e36's but it's willing to take up the challenge. It will be done at his garage, really cool guy and he knows what he's doing in terms of fabrication. Big plus is his price :)

Swap will begin at the end of January. Fingers crossed!!!!