Auto trans filter/fluid change

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Kiwisholland

Auto trans filter/fluid change

Post by Kiwisholland »

I recently got an 83 633 with a 3HP22 transmission. The car came from a relative and it’s rust free, and in good shape. It has 121,000 miles. I’d like to convert the trans to manual one day, but lots to do before that. The transmission works fine.

The fluid is red, and smells fine. Is it advisable to replace the fluid and filter, which has probably never been done (the filter), or is that inviting trouble? I’ve read about muck getting dislodged or something. I’ve aleady purchased the filter and fluid, but waiting for some advice on this first.

Thanks
‘83 633csi
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Auto trans filter/fluid change

Post by Pod »

Since it’s working fine, why take the risk? If you change the filter and it does cause problems, then you’ll have to do the swap earlier than you wish.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if you take that view, you inevitably wait until the gearbox is broken, and/or the oil is the colour of treacle before you do anything about it.

My view is that if you have seen the state of a filter and the magnets in the bottom of an autobox, you would not for a moment consider leaving it alone and hoping for the best.

BTW the filter is just a metal gauze screen. This can be cleaned and re-used. So can the pan gasket in most cases. The oil isn't expensive , the magnets will need cleaning.... so just do it.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kiwisholland

Post by Kiwisholland »

Thanks

My feeling exactly, why wait until it’s cooked to do something. Thanks for the advice!
‘83 633csi