Need help - any oil cooler pics out there?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Need help - any oil cooler pics out there?

Post by Da_Hose »

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate some help with my oil cooler. It looks as if the mounting tabs have broken off, and a previous owner very hastily mounted it using some zip ties. Since I am mid-repair on multiple issues, and my shop lift makes working under the nose a real pleasure, I would like to get this cooler mounted correctly. Does anyone have (or could take) pictures of their oil cooler and its mounting tabs that they could share with me? I am pretty sure I can weld onto the still mounted tab remains, I just need to be positive what I need to make.

Thanks.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Need help - any oil cooler pics out there?

Post by bpoliakoff »

Jose all oil cooler to chassis brackets available new. Once you have those in hand you will see what is missing from the oil cooler itself. been there done that and it's a no brainer. Here is a part # for one of the brackets. 17111122115 I found it under 81 635 euro radiator section and it all shows up there.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Heya Bert,

That info. does help. Looks like my cooler has the "ears" broken off, so I need to weld on some L-tabs. Bracket 13 is NLA, so I will have to bend one up. I think 17 is still attached to the spoiler, which is also cracked and beat up.

Looks like this is going to be a bit of work. If you (or anyone) has pics. of things mounted up, I would definitely benefit from seeing how/where it's all attached.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
derrith

Post by derrith »

I have a few euro m30 oil coolers taken off e24s. Do they cross with the M6 unit?
1983 635csi
1988 M5
1991 850i
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I don't know if they do, Derrith. I have done a bunch of looking around this evening on RealOEM, and no year of US M6 shows oil cooler parts. I am concerned the reason things were mounted so slapdash on mine, is that the US M6 did not come with an oil cooler from the factory. I can find two types of oil coolers listed for Euro M635's, though. So now I am thinking mine had the cooler added on with junkyard parts. Which would explain the lack of brackets, and broken mounting tabs.

Dangit! ](*,) If you have a US sold M6 with an oil cooler under the nose, I really need a good picture or two of exactly how yours is mounted. [-o<

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

Not my car or picture, but I think all the oil coolers were the same.
I assume that the angled bracket welded to the cooler body, screws into another angled bracket which is mounted to the body with two bolts.
My own oil cooler setup is custom and nothing like this, so no help to you I'm afraid.
Nick
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

A picture is worth a thousand words, Nick. =D>

I see what you mean now Bert. That mounting really is basic. I know where to look for mounting holes, and I'll order the brackets. Welding new ears onto the tabs should even be possible in situ.

Thanks everyone!

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
EdwasRed

Post by EdwasRed »

Tried sending photo but won't upload...
1985 635CSi M Euro M88
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

couple pics

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Ok, so it looks like the left/right are the same style bracket, and the center is different. At least my cooler has the center one holding the metal tubing.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Well folks, I tried looking for the brackets and RealOEM shows all of them as out of production.

Looks like I need to hit Home Depot for raw materials to make some for myself. As a point of discussion, brackets that will be subject to vibration are often made from steel, as aluminum suffers from embrittlement when it flexes a lot. These brackets seem like they would be pretty solid, but I'm still thinking steel plate is the best material to use.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car