System flush

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Theantony

System flush

Post by Theantony »

I’m changing my thermostat so presume I’ll have to do a full system flush and bleed. I’m going to use xtreme g48
coolent from what I’ve read. How much will I need for a full flush.
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: System flush

Post by jps635 »

The system takes 12l.

I did an expensive engine rebuild last year and after reading all sorts of stuff I used BMW coolant @ 40% strength mixed with tap water.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

A flush is not complicated. You can get chemicals to help, but I have always done a simple water flush. If there is anything actually gumming up the radiator, it will need to come out and get boiled/rodded (if it's an older brass unit), or replaced.

I would suggest buying an in-line drain for your lowest line. Drain at the block, fill with plain old tap water, leave the radiator cap off, run to operating temp with heater on, then drain at the tap slowly, while adding water in the overflow. The system holds 2-3 gallons if I recall correctly, so once you have allowed a gallon to drain slowly, stop the engine and drain the whole system, including at the plug once it has cooled. You can pull the in-line drain if you want, but I'd leave it in.

Refill as usual with a pre-mix coolant. There are only 3 or so places in the world that make the glycol used for engine coolant, so I honestly don't think there is a ton of difference from brand to brand. The key is to get coolant that is meant to work for your car, as additives and properties are incompatible between some coolants. Long life coolants are most finicky, because they can be organic acid coolants (OAT), or nitrited organic acid technology (NOAT) coolants. If you mix those two types, you can end up with funky colors or sludge.

I went with Evans waterless coolant, because it prevents corrosion, and there's no huge pressure increase when hot. If you do heat up, the outcome is less disastrous than when you have water in the system as well. The Evans route is more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

Thanks guys
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Owned my six for 31 years. Never used BMW anti freeze. Zerox or Prestone with

https://books.google.com/books?id=wC0DA ... st&f=false

I remember reading about the water in Europe years ago and used regular distilled water when mixing.

Never had a heating problem with the engine in all these years. Orig rad and heater core.

https://www.germanautocenter.com/blog/w ... utomobile/

Just FYI
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3