1977 630CSi Basket Case <--- I need some assistance

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

guyatou

1977 630CSi Basket Case <--- I need some assistance

Post by guyatou »

So, I picked up a basket case 4-speed Shark the other day, and am diving into some of the electrical work. I have a nice color wiring diagram from Prospero's Garage (I have one for my Datsun Roadster and BMW R90/6 and love it) but some of the components on the car aren't listed on the diagram.

Does anybody have access to a 1977 owner's manual (or at least an e12-based 633CSi owner manual)? I've searched all over this site and several others and I'm coming up empty handed. That would be a big help, as there are some switches that I'm not familiar with.

There's a rheostat next by my right knee, just above what i assume is the window lock-out switch (I also own an e28 535i, and fell pray to that once before). What does the rheostat control? I would assume dash light intensity, but that appears to not be the case. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Michael
Oklahoma City
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1977 630CSi Basket Case <--- I need some assistance

Post by bpoliakoff »

I think it';s the front to back fader switch for the speakers
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
guyatou

Post by guyatou »

Thanks! That's a weird place to put it. A manual PDF would still be convenient if somebody has one handy to scan. I'm happy to host it on my Dropbox account for perpetuity if so!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Well, that's where it is on my 81 euro. Since I am using a more modern head unit, I will use the space for a switch to control the antenna. Doubt you will find a pdf for the early cars. Try going to a site called wedphones or wedphone, IIRC
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
guyatou

Post by guyatou »

I appreciate your quick replies bpoliakoff! Sadly their BMW electrical troubleshooting manuals start in 1982 on that site, but I think the 733i is close enough to work for some things.

There weren't many 1977s imported to the US, and I think only about 1700 made total, so they're a little hard to find specific info about. What blows me away is the original sticker price on this model was about $24k -- twice that of a Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado of the same year. (Or nearly $100k adjusted for 2019 dollars).

My Shark was partially disassembled by the previous owner (who clearly had no idea what he was doing). I have wires hanging all over the place inside the dash. No turn signals, only left headlights (and then only on high beam), no horn, etc. I'll have a Ph.D in electrical engineering by the time I'm done, but it will be a fun project and a really cool car. The brake lights do work, and amazingly, the lovely analogue clock!

The good news is the car runs and drives, and the red interior should look great when finish with my magic. It only has 88k miles, but a lot of years neglected and sitting outside. Just replaced a fuel filter that was made in West Germany, so that tells you how long this car has been neglected. But no more!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

You have to look around. I found the pre 82 ETM on Ebay.For the NA cars but should be close for Euro also found a repro euro pre 82 service manual for 6 series but that ran $125 found that from some literature place advertising in Hemmings Motor news it has the wiring schematics in it.
88m53453

Post by 88m53453 »

I may have the factory blue manual for the e12 based cars