HVAC Recondition

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gte619n

HVAC Recondition

Post by gte619n »

Hey fellas,

I'm working on my 1985 M635CSi.

Currently, my gauges are out and the dash is at Just Dashes getting redone. While the interior is all apart I figured I'd get a strategy together to recondition all the HVAC systems. I'm planning on replacing the transistor on the AC blower motor and lubricating the motor itself. I think I might have some broken or non-functioning slider cables as well. While I'm in there, does anyone have any advice for the following items:

1. AC Blower Motor Lubrication - Any process or recommended lubricants? I was planning on disassembling, cleaning the coils and brush surfaces. Are the brushes replaceable? Is the bearing sealed? Is there a replacement that I should be looking at or will some oil get it done? Any recommendations for the oil? Maybe I'm ahead of myself... is this thing even serviceable?

2. Slider Cables - I have a broken slider mount which I will be replacing, but after getting everything apart, I think I might have some non-functioning flaps. Is there a resource that shows a diagram of the cables, where they go and how they attach to the flaps? I think the center and lower slider might not be operational at all. Is there a spot where I can access or see?

3. Slider Cable Lubrication - If the slider cables themselves are hard to actuate, has anyone had success with lubrication? Is it the cables that get sticky or is it the flap pivots themselves?

4. Anything else to work on while I'm in there?

Thanks!
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2