Flywheel is no longer available. Where do I go from here?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Charlesnance

Flywheel is no longer available. Where do I go from here?

Post by Charlesnance »

Greetings big coupe braintrust. I am the proud owner of an 86 635csi. I have been in a no run situation for a few months now. I am not that knowledgeable about cars but I am learning fast. Fortunately my brother-in-law is a mechanic and his help has been invaluable. I believe we have tracked the no run problem to the pins or posts on the flywheel. It appears one or more is missing. I believe I have really two options. First, weld new posts to the flywheel to trigger the sensors, or second purchase a new flywheel. I have a manual transmission. I believe the part number I need is 11 22 1 289 244. That item no longer appears available new or used. Is there a different replacement flywheel that will work? Is there information out there on the specs to put new posts on my old flywheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and happy driving.

Charles
redrumm3

Re: Flywheel is no longer available. Where do I go from here?

Post by redrumm3 »

I had the same problem on an e30 325e years ago. At that time flywheels were still available, but I elected to have a new trigger pin installed on the flywheel. It was much cheaper. It is an easy process and any machine shop should be able to do it for you. Originally the pins are pressed into the outer edge of the flywheel, but over time and many heat cycles they can come loose and fall out or something can hit them and knock them out. I had my new pin welded on to the flywheel. This is all assuming the flywheel is good enough and has enough material on the face to continue to use it.

Otherwise I am sure you can source a used flywheel from someone on this forum or many other places.
Scott Collins
80 Euro 635csi Stratosblau/Parchment
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

You can try Metric Mechanic, long time engine and tranny rebuilders =D>

http://metricmechanic.com/flywheel-clutch/

While they mention lightened flywheels and core deposits, this is a fairly small outfit, so they will be more than willing to work with you [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Post a "WTB" ad on any E24 and E28 forum you can find, esp. MYE28.com. I think somebody should have one.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

I have a 22 lb flywheel available. It will need to be resurfaced for best results.

I would first make an attempt at welding a new pin as it involves a lot less work than replacing the flywheel.

You could also search for the old pin in the bell housing of the trans. Remove the inspection cover and use a magnet to try and find the old pin. It's big enough to be found yet small enough to survive in the area

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic