Help!! M30 rebuild looming

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pfitz911

Help!! M30 rebuild looming

Post by Pfitz911 »

Hi guys
Owned my 635 1986 for several weeks and finally got around to adjusting those damn noisy valves. When I took the cover off, valves were pretty good...BUT severe cam wear and as it was using a bit of coolant, noticed some oil in the cooling system...head gasket certainly is perishing.
Time for a rebuild. Ive read the bottom end of these m30s are bullet proof, but I think it makes sense to take the engine out and do a top and bottom end.
Heres my question...I have a manual trans sitting in my garage that's from a e34 (since realised it wont work with my motronic), so plan was to go haltech ecu, sequential ignition, MAP etc
Not sure how Id go rebuilding the engine AND running it in on a new fuel/ignition sytem, so maybe it makes sense to rebuild as is with auto, then convert to manual and stand alone ecu. I would like to raise comp to 10:1, use schrick cam (182) and port?polish heads. Will this work ok with my current motronic as is
Any advice on best pistons etc to use would be much appreciated
Im gutted to find this, but at least it gives me an opportunity to rebuild
Thanks gents
Dan
Pfitz911

Re: Help!! M30 rebuild looming

Post by Pfitz911 »

Wow! Nobody?
I’m probably a little spoilt on the Porsche forums, as no matter how stupid the question, there’s generally a response...
I guess using a stand alone ecu isn’t that common. I’m still quite confused as to how I’ll run my haltech...I’m not sure how much motronic controls other functions of car. Maybe I can run it in parallel with motronic so new ecu just controls fuel and spark ⚡️
Any help much appreciated but I also understand not everyone is up to speed on this.
I’ll get there 😎
Cheers
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Why won't the trans work with Motronic, flywheel has no pick up?
No reason I can think of that you can't use that tranny with Motronic
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Pfitz it seems to me every idea you come up with with it is based on grabbing at straws rather than research. There are three different Mototronic systems used on the six series. Basic and Motornic 1.1 both fired off the flywheel. Motronic 1.3 is triggered from the crankshaft pulley so all you need to do is get the later harness and "trigger" wheel from a late car. or adapt your harness. There are articles around on how to do it and works best with a mega squirt. Get a hold of Josh Parsons in Sydney and he will walk you through the process and get you on the straight and narrow. You are all over the board and grabbing at straws. Josh will get you there.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Pfitz911

Post by Pfitz911 »

Thanks for your reply
Yes I have contacted Josh and hes been very helpful. I believe hes had guys doing the wiring for him, so Im after anyone with diy experience as to how they've found it
I still have some questions though and isn't that what forums are all about? I think youre a bit unfair in your comments, as Im sure you have knowledge beyond most people on the forums.
Yes...asking if e90 suspension will fit an e24 in hindsight was a bit green, but hey, its not that bad is it.
Just trying to get as much info as I can. I understand how the motronics are different. Would just like to know from anyone else out there if they ran motronic in parallel with a stand alone or if they replaced motronic altogether. I have just purchased a haltech 750 with harness, so Im trying to go through wiring diagrams as best I can.
Cheers
Dan
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

You will have to build a wiring harness to work in conjunction with the injection system you ultimately decide to use as Motronic will then be out of the picture. The new ecu will be programmed to run your gauges etc. That is why I suggested you go to Josh as he knows the people who can put this together for you and save you a lot of running around and mistakes.My comments were not meant to be unkind , but rather just to save you frustration and get you headed in the right direction as you do seem to be floundering a bit and going on two or three paths at once. I think you first have to decide on what type of engine build you want to obtain and then from there decide on which stand alone will be best for the application rather than build an engine around a pre chosen stand alone. I have built a "mildly" warmed up motor, hopefully +50HP over stock, and am waiting to see how it will perform with a stock euro ecu before I even think of going stand alone, so I am not even thinking of putting the cart before the horse until I haven't a choice.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
Pfitz911

Post by Pfitz911 »

Thanks mate
I don’t want anything crazy, probably similar to yours by the sounds .
All I wanted to know was whether functions like cruise and obc could be supported if motronic was eliminated, or if it was better to run my haltech as a piggyback to it to control fuel and spark. I have a harness from haltech already with in built fuses etc.
No offence taken, but I’m not sure how this is “floundering”...it’s a straight forward question that I’m sure many who seek to modernise their classics would ask. I have been in contact with haltech and they’re getting back to me. Just thought someone on this forum may have had some diy experience with this. I’ve converted a 911 Porsche to ITBs using Megasquirt and wasted spark, but the 635 is a bit more complex.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I believe cruise control is controlled from a separate operating system. I am not sure about the obc but I have not heard of anyone running megasquirt having to run as a piggy back to motronic. If you get on the E9 forum, there is a fellow on there who goes by SFDon. He may be the most knowledgable guy around on Megasquirt systems there is. He is more than happy to communicate with people and share knowledge Easiest to communicate with me by email at [email protected] If you can't find him, get to me and I will see if I can get his email for you
Pfitz911

Post by Pfitz911 »

You’re a bloody legend 😎
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Will be in NZ this July. Can shag small bits there and forward to OZ from there maybe, very maybe depending on hotel cooperation. And save humungous shipping fees to your part of the world, but SMALL is the keyword here!!
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

You’re a bloody legend 😎
Pffft :roll:

Yeah, he's a legend alright, only because his 6er has been under restoration for the last 10 years #-o

Kidding Bert \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I am not restoring. I am building a new car!!!! At least that is what my rapidly diminishing bank account is saying. If "she whose name must not be mentioned" ever found out, I would be singing in the boys choir!!
Pfitz911

Post by Pfitz911 »

Well I just appreciate any help. I get very confused and just want some clarity. I promise Ive let go of swapping anything from my e90 to the e24 8)
Respectable physiotherapist by day, wannabe mechanic/car tinkerer after hours!!
Thanks gents
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Hi Bert

If you're travelling through the lower North Island give me a shout

Chris
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

If it were me, and I was doing any kind of engine swap, I would not go motronic. I would build a Megasquirt (I actually have a spare in a box that I decided not to use with my 2002 build), and use Ford EFI components for all my triggering. The MS community has tremendous support, and parts need would be fairly simple.

Get/make a 36-2 trigger wheel, and weld to the pulley.
Source Ford coil packs, use your existing injectors, throw on a single large bore throttle body, or go really trick and do ITB's, with TPS, and MAP sensor.

In all it's pretty simple, and infinitely tunable. You could even add some low pressure boost down the line, and the MS would be able to work with it. Maybe do an STS style, tail pipe mounted turbo if you want to be really unique.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Pfitz911

Post by Pfitz911 »

Thanks mate
I think I’m getting my head around it. I’ve already got the haltech 750 and remium harness with relays and fuses built in. It’s just a matter of working out if I’ll ditch the motronic altogether or run it with the standalone to keep existing functions of the car like obc. From the research I’ve done I don’t believe the cruise needs motronic. This is important to me as it’s my daily and I drive an hour to work.
Bert and co...check out the video. I think this simplifies what I’m trying to work out 💪
https://youtu.be/GzLiGezXshk
Cheers
Dan