Gauge Cluster Circuit Board

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DV8OR

Gauge Cluster Circuit Board

Post by DV8OR »

Does anyone know if the main circuit board, just board no gauges, from a 89 635CSi gauge cluster and swapped into a 88 M6 cluster?
I am refinishing my 88 cluster from a M6 and my main circuit board has some corrosion on it. I have an 89 parts cars and I pulled the circuit board to check it out and it is in really nice condition. The 2 boards are very similar but not 100% the same, the big difference are the batteries. The 88 has NiCad and the 89 has lithium.

-As far as I can tell realoem says they are interchangeable but I wanted to ask if anyone has actually done it as realoem can sometimes be wrong.
-I compared ETMs from 88 and 89 and that all looks the same save a few minor differences, wire color changes, non used modules/connections, etc
-Other big coupe/internet posts seem to indicate that it will work also as all post 86 boards will but no definitive answer that I could decipher.

Thank you.
-
88 M6
88 325i
89 635CSi
00 528iT
Jordanmilos

Re: Gauge Cluster Circuit Board

Post by Jordanmilos »

They are interchangeable as far as I go. I’ve pulled M and non M clusters, the differences are in the removable parts (Speedo, Tach, Tach coding plug).
Big Bore Throttle Bodies, Gauge Kits, and more.... No more actually.