Solenoid wiring

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kingmanjr00

Solenoid wiring

Post by kingmanjr00 »

All,

I searched but the only article I could the picture link was broken. I am trying to figure out which pin the black and yellow wire on the starter solenoid is supposed to connect to for an 85 635csi. Any help would be great, and a pic would be fantastic!

Thanks,
NK
kingmanjr00

Re: Solenoid wiring

Post by kingmanjr00 »

I know it is supposed to go on pin 50, but I cannot see on my solenoid if that is the top or bottom. The car ins't cranking at all and just checking to make sure it's wired correctly. Thanks!
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

starter wiring diagram starts on page 115.

http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e24/e24_85.pdf
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Difficulty in seeing which posts are which. Best course of action is to take a fused +12V source and touch it to the solenoid posts. You won’t hurt anything unless the car is in gear when the starter engages. Put it in neutral first

The post that causes the starter to engage is the correct one

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Machbuffet

Post by Machbuffet »

I have a 1985 csi and the black/yellow wire is connected to the lower solenoid blade.
Mine wasn’t cranking, full charge, healthy battery. Having checked all the relays, good earth etc, I went to check if current was reaching the starter and noticed the black/yellow wire hanging free. Took a fused feed from + battery post and connected to upper blade. Just a rattling/ clicking from solenoid, similar to when your battery isn’t fully charged. Connected to lower blade and turned over. Car running just fine now.
If you get a minute, could you have a quick look at my post re starter wires. I’ve nothing connected to the upper blade on the solenoid and two wires coming out of the same loom as the black/yellow wire that aren’t connected to anything at all.
Thanks
I hope it helps
1985 635 csi