Getrag G280: Recommend me an oil

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Getrag G280: Recommend me an oil

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Car's in workshop right now having a clutch replaced. I've supplied the new clutch, G280 in/out/selector seals + the crank rear main and then completely forgot about the oil for the gearbox!!

Need some ideas please. Something that will obviously allow the synchro rings to work but at the same time will hopefully damp down the layshaft rattle at idle. It's been a long time since this gearbox oil was replaced. I think it was replaced last time with either RedLine gear oil or ATF. Not sure, but obviously things have probably moved on since then. What's the current thinking please? Looking for advice and experience reports to help make a decision.

Using Penrite Premium Mineral 15W-40 in the engine and very happy with that. Would not be adverse to a Castrol in the gearbox if anyone has any experience?

Cheers
jdb

Re: Getrag G280: Recommend me an oil

Post by jdb »

I have used Redline MT 90 for years without issue, It works better with the big box than MTL for rattle issues.
My2 cents
Jeff
82-323i
84-M635
85-535i
11-335is
DRPM635CSi

Re: Getrag G280: Recommend me an oil

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Thanks mate, found some MT-90 locally and got that to put in this weekend. Cheers

Car in workshop with G280 out

No leaks, bit of uneven scalloping on the flywheel, so that's getting a tizzy-up, worn clutch fork pivot bearing (to be replaced), fork is fine to reuse, new clutch (old one looks fine actually, but just has had too many heat cycles, is hard and glazed so being replaced), new selector rod knuckle bearing (worn/loose), new MT-90 oil (old stuff was Redline gear oil of some description, not ATF), nothing unusual on mag drain plug, new spigot bearing into back of crankshaft, new input/output/rear crank and selector rod seals (just because) and will be all good to go again.