AC hose removal

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

AC hose removal

Post by Bhart »

I am doing the work I should have done this past winter but the extreme cold (-40C) sucked all the motivation out of me. So here it is June and I am pulling parts out to send off to Jay Statton for a rebuild.

My issue is with the Behr AC compressor top hose - the inaccessible one. Short of trying a 7/8" crowfoot, is there any reasonable way to loosen that top fitting?

Brian
Attachments
Behr top cropped.jpg
Behr top cropped.jpg (254.46 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Behr cropped.jpg
Behr cropped.jpg (266.23 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Re: AC hose removal

Post by Bhart »

Good thing I was also planning a tune up so removing the rad became part of this job too.

Lay underneath the car for a while wondering 'how do they do it' and observing the layers of caked on grease & grime. Jay Stratton told me the top fitting was a 32mm and fortunately, I have the fan clutch tool. Now I have a second use for this specialized tool!

With the rad out of the way, a quick nip with the Schwaben wrench and the fitting was loose. The upper mount, took a whole lot longer to persuade out of it's place. Everything caked in grease means I'll be changing the solution in the parts cleaner sooner than I'd like but the job will be worth it.

I've now got the 'while I'm already in here' thoughts buzzing - replace alternator, new crank sensor, breather diaphragm, finding the true source of the leak at the cylinder head..... maybe I'll just clean the engine and just monitor that last one.

I'll be sending the AC compressor and main hydraulic pump off to Jay Stratton for a re-build. I'll also need to make the engine bay presentable for the shiny parts going back in.
Attachments
Behr AC cropped.jpg
Behr AC cropped.jpg (189.44 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
GRNSHRK Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Well, good work, and nice to know that the special 32mm fan clutch spanner has more than one use :shock:

Think I've used my maybe, twice #-o

Once you get that bad boy cleaned up, bet it's gonna look like the Jay's, after he cleaned all of the gunk off of his [-o<

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30858

Love your comment about "while I'm in there" bit, BTDT [-(
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Classic "mission creep". Start out to change oil and end up rebuilding everything, "while you're in there". I know it well. That's why I took 5 years to do an engine swap in my buddy's E30. EVERYTHING got rebuilt/replaced/upgraded.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"