Where have all the parts gone?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Where have all the parts gone?

Post by Bhart »

I started making a list of parts needed to sort my '87 M6 about 3 years ago. I bought the car that had been in storage 5 years and made notes while I drove it, gingerly at first owing to a de-laminated diff mount, and started a parts list. Finishing some major projects at work sidelined any serious work on the M6 but I've recently retired and I've gone in deep.

The parts lists I made early on were all done with the assistance of the RealOEM diagrams and then searching their part numbers for pricing. This past spring has me going over the final version of my parts list, updated as I dig deeper into the car. What I'm surprised at is that many of the parts that showed up as available and current have now become NLA from BMW.

What sorts of parts are no longer available? Lets start with #61311377246 Cruise control switch - common to a number of cars of that era but no longer for sale new. How about #32411134803 Pressure hose assy - the high pressure hose from the pump to the 'bomb'. Not something you can have easily re-made owing to the high line pressure. Last one - Bumper end covers. Only two of the four are still available. The right front and left rear are still listed but #s 51111869769 and 51121869750 are NLA. I need all four!?!

I find it a bit surprising, parts that are unique to BMW have fallen off the BMW parts list and there is little alternative, especially if you are trying to keep a car as original as possible. Anyone else noticed this?
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
tschultz

Re: Where have all the parts gone?

Post by tschultz »

It happens as the cars get older and the demand diminishes. BMW is in the business, not sourcing parts just to keep our old vehicles on the road.

Unfortunate, but the way it is. Look at 02's and E3/E9's. Those are hard to find parts for.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Hoard while you can....
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

tschultz wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm It happens as the cars get older and the demand diminishes. BMW is in the business, not sourcing parts just to keep our old vehicles on the road.

Unfortunate, but the way it is. Look at 02's and E3/E9's. Those are hard to find parts for.
No, I realize that old cars are tricky. Let me tell you about the 1964 Saab three cylinder, two stroke, triple carb I restored a few years ago....

It's just that there doesn't seem to be any BMW classic support, unlike Mercedes. Yes, you'll pay handsomely for their old Merc parts but they still support them. I expected a bit more from BMW.
Attachments
saab Underhood.jpg
saab Underhood.jpg (385.72 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Try Walloth and Nesch in Germany You can pick them up on the web. Very honorable and fair to deal with and shipping prices very fair. Many mechanical parts not available from BMW still available from them. I just found a first year Motronic air valve from them for my 81 euro NLA from BMW still new from them. High pressure hose should be available after market. Maybe start with Auto Haus AZ or Maximillian Imports. You will have to spend time looking but a lot of the basic mechanical stuff is out there. When you get into the "M" only goodies that will be another issue.

Also google BluntTech in Canada. A great source for hard to find BMW parts especially euro stuff. Brandon there is great and knows what he is doing.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

bpoliakoff - BluntTech has a nicely done website. I'll search that this evening. Thanks for the suggestion.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

brickwhite wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 pm Hoard while you can....
No matter how large your garage, it's never big enough.

I've currently got three cars to support. My original Mini is a breeze - just about everything is available. My Volvo 1800ES is mechanically the same as any Amazon or 140 series Volvo but the trim, glass and dashboard hardware are pretty much all NLA.

The BMW is becoming more of a challenge than I'd thought but I will persist. Too nice to just slap aftermarket parts into when there are folks like Jay Stratton out there. He's currently rebuilding my PSP and A/C compressor.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

There is after market amd then there is after market. Hoses etc are fine and there is plenty of hi end quality out there. i am doing an exceedingly hi end resto on my 635 and have no problem with sfter market hoses etc and can't tell the difference.On cosmetic parts, of course originals have to prevail.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I have power steering hoses part #'s 32411134806 and 34321155865 both new BMW original and unmolested purchased in error, if any help.

I know ....806 and ....803 are similar, but not sure what the differences are. PM me if interested.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Regarding the high pressure hose, go to a local hydraulic supplier. I use an Aeroquip supplier. They cut off my old hardware to use to make adapters. Then a hose can be made with standard fittings. Not a concours solution, but is perfect for my modified driver.

Ross
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

The high pressure hose has a restricter in the middle of it. Did the hose shop place that in the new line? I do not know it's purpose but it must be there for a reason. The several hose shops I tried did not have the proper type of die to crimp it thusly could not make a hose as original.
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Well that is news to me ](*,).

I can only assume it is in the hardware I reused since both the brakes and steering have been fine since the hose replacement. In my case the hard pipes were cut off at the hoses, then standard JIC tube adapters were brazed on. I had the two short hoses fitted with JIC female swivels. The hoses are Aeroquip GH781-6.

If I have mine apart again for some reason I'll have a look.

Ross
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

Ross, We have an excellent hydraulics shop here where I live. They have been helpful on many other projects but, being a mining supply shop, they do tend to over-spec things. My plan was to replace all the rubber lines that are associated with the 120BAR PSP system since there is quite a lot of evidence of seepage/leakage in that whole area. Cohline seems to be the common replacement part and the prices are reasonable.... hopefully the quality will be too.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I am off base with this. I am on the high pressure hose to the power steering . My car is an 81 and my car is entirely different that yours. So in talking about a restricter, i was off as regards your car. As to the other hoses, I had no problem getting them made at a Parker store using the ends from my old hoses. i did have them all replated along with all of my other nuts bolts and brackets first.