WTB Hella H1 Low beam lamps

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

zinnocoupe

WTB Hella H1 Low beam lamps

Post by zinnocoupe »

Ok, so I'm on the hunt for something I didn't even really know existed until recently. H1 low beam headlamps. I have H4s in my car currently but just picked up most of a wash/wipe system for the car. The H4s stick out from the chrome ring and will make it hard if not impossible for the wiper to wipe and then contact the wiper stops on the chrome ring. I learned recently there is an H1 low beam single filament lamp that is completely flat that will allow the wiper to wipe back and forth. The link bellow is a place that may be able to supply said lamps. Maybe. They are looking into if Hella can still supply the lamps. In the meantime I thought I would see if anyone has some decent used ones or know somewhere else that sells these. I'm in NA so LHD lights only.

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-5-3-4 ... 26700.html
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Narks

Re: WTB Hella H1 Low beam lamps

Post by Narks »

What headlight buckets do you have? There are two types on earlier models,m prior to projector lamps on later models.

There are the ones that hold the generic 3 x tab headlight inserts (common on USA models), including Hella generic halogen inserts. I think these use the chrome ring at front that is screwed on.

... or the buckets taking the BMW specific Hella halogen lights, which unfortunately for low beam lamps, are specific to E24 model only. The chrome rings on these models are snap-on. (Note that for these buckets, high beam BMW/Hella lamps are shared with early E30 and E28 models)

Good new is you can get the H1 low beam Hella headlamps for either. Dealers should still stock the BMW/Hella specific buckets, and any Hella dealer should be able to source the generic types. They are known as "H1 Bifocals" and they are excellent lamps. I am running mine with 100W bulbs and they are great. On my '86 vehicle, they stay illuminated on high beam also, giving a nice spread to the beams.

Hope this helps!

Tony
'86 E24
Bronzit Beige Metallic
Narks

Re: WTB Hella H1 Low beam lamps

Post by Narks »

Sorry, I meant dealers should still stock the BMW/Hella specific H1 Bifocal INSERTS (not buckets)