Automatic box playing up

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mez

Automatic box playing up

Post by mez »

Hi Guys :D

First let me say hello as I'm a Newbie
I'm having trouble with my gearbox my car is a 1985 635csi and while I'm driving all of a sudden the auto light on the dash will flicker & I lose drive causing the engine to stall most times, there is also a clicking noise coming from the gear selector.
If I turn car off & then restart all is ok until the next time, sometimes I can travel 20 miles & all is well other times it might do it 3 times in 5 minutes!!
Can anyone please help?

mez.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Automatic box playing up

Post by hornhospital »

Welcome to bigcoupe!
I've got zero experience with automatics in E24s, so someone else will have to pipe in with suggestions.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Best place to start is the "cannon" plug at the trans. Pull it and soak the crap out of it with contact cleaner. I mean spray it like crazy. That has been know to be a problem. Next is to drop the pan and check the filter of course before doing any of this have you checked the fluid level in the trans? The three things I have suggested are the only "at home cures" I know of without getting into more advanced mechanics.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
GCR

Post by GCR »

Also check fuse 17 (30A) and the K5 unloader relay. Power supply for the selector switch and the cluster is fed through that circuit.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Welcome to The Forum!

So the engine doesn't cut out? Does the transmission go through all the gears smoothly? Does the kick-down work? Does the S/E/1-2-3 switch work and does it return to the central setting when you turn off and re-start the engine?
mez

Post by mez »

Thanks for the replies guys I'm working through the solutions slowly. Checked fuses & relay they seem ok, checked the oil while car was running & couldn't get a reading on dipstick so think this could be my problem maybe. I have sent car off to my local garage for a load of work so they can look at it now.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Let us know how you got on?
mez

Post by mez »

Ok so far I have changed gearbox oil & filter, all plugs & relays.
This seems to have helped a lot, now I realise the Alternator is not working as it should so when the battery(BRAND NEW) gets low this throws allsorts of electrical issues up ](*,) So now i'm looking for a replacement Alternator or have it rebuilt locally & then i'm thinking all should be ok.
Thanks for your replies.