Damaged sensor ID - Thermo time?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Candycj1

Damaged sensor ID - Thermo time?

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi all - need some guidance please, is the crusty and damaged sensor in the picture below the thermo time switch? Its on the themostat housing of my 11/87 build year euro e24 next to the CTS so i *think* i'm rigt its thermo switch? Its in a sorry state as per the pic, plug is loose on top - would this explain the engine cutting out when hot?

Wide view:

close up:
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Damaged sensor ID - Thermo time?

Post by Brucey »

you have got no 7th injector and no thermotime switch on an E24 with the M30B35 motor fitted (~7/87 onwards). Check the wire colours against the wiring diagram to be sure but I think the two contacts in that fitting are

a) the sender for the temperature gauge in the dashboard and
b) the switch for an overheating warning light in the dash.

The former should measure quite a few ohms to ground when cold . The latter is a switch that is either open (cold) or closed (when overheated).

Obviously the dash gauge will not work with the plug disconnected. You can buy replacement plug shrouds for most of the connectors and simply fit the extant wires/pins to them; the pins come out of the back of the plug provided you defeat the retaining barbs on each pin. If the sensor itself is bad then it can only be replaced. However in this case it doesn't need to be that good to be 'good enough' because it won't interfere with the running of the car.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Candycj1

Re: Damaged sensor ID - Thermo time?

Post by Candycj1 »

Brucey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:25 pm you have got no 7th injector and no thermotime switch on an E24 with the M30B35 motor fitted (~7/87 onwards). Check the wire colours against the wiring diagram to be sure but I think the two contacts in that fitting are

a) the sender for the temperature gauge in the dashboard and
b) the switch for an overheating warning light in the dash.

The former should measure quite a few ohms to ground when cold . The latter is a switch that is either open (cold) or closed (when overheated).

Obviously the dash gauge will not work with the plug disconnected. You can buy replacement plug shrouds for most of the connectors and simply fit the extant wires/pins to them; the pins come out of the back of the plug provided you defeat the retaining barbs on each pin. If the sensor itself is bad then it can only be replaced. However in this case it doesn't need to be that good to be 'good enough' because it won't interfere with the running of the car.

cheers
Thanks, will check the colours - unlike the other sensors i'm looking at this one is at least easy to get to. Any info on where to get a replacement shroud if the tests are ok? The temp gauge in the dash does seem to work ok so if that is what this is, that bit seems to be working. I'll check resistance - tho i guess another simple test is see if the gauge works once unplugged...