Throttle Body Overhaul

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

85MSteinway

Throttle Body Overhaul

Post by 85MSteinway »

looking at overhauling the throttle bodies on my M635 as it is getting sticky even staying open after the engine gets warmed. I suspect one or more bearings may need replacing, but figured while I'm doing it I should replace a lot of these 35 year old springs and give a proper cleaning. I'm working off of info contained in this site http://765bimmertime.blogspot.com/2013/ ... 35csi.html

I can't find the following parts:

- Retainer spring (2x) 13-54-1-306-862
- Retainer spring (1x) 13-54-1-306-861
- Needle bearing (3x) INA HK1210

Does anyone know a good source I can use?
L6
85 M635
85MSteinway

Re: Throttle Body Overhaul

Post by 85MSteinway »

I found a source in Germany that will ship to U.S. At least I think I have. Have not ordered yet, still trying to find a U.S. source as the shipping costs are high, even for such small items, and no mention of shipping duration. I'll wait until I have a full list of parts after disassembly and inspection since I may need something else I can't find in U.S.

If anyone else has done this job and has any pointers, or knows of anything else I should check while doing this that would be great as this is my first time. The link in the OP seems pretty straight forward but if anyone has any knowledge to drop before I start disassembling...

Thanks!
L6
85 M635
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Springs are a funny thing. Many times you can find places in the city where you live that only deal in springs. Springs can easily be modified by cutting a coil or bending an end coil at a 90 degree angle. I f there is a touch more tension it won't hurt. When you explain what your goal is, you will find many of the counter people more than happy to help you out. Go down to your local bearing supply house, bring one of yours with you and see what they come up with.Many bearings are standard the world over, although some are very use specific, but it is worth a shot.I have replaced many bearings in my car this way for a fraction of dealer costs.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

I don't live in an area that would have a spring specialty store. I'll be in Houston next though, so not a bad idea. I'll see if I can find a few places to check out. The bearings I'm not too worried about, after I measure I think I can find some options online, maybe even Amazon. Thanks for the ideas.
L6
85 M635
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

Now that I have the air accumulator removed, I've got a better picture of what is going on. I've only owned this car for few months and this is my first time digging around with tools. I should have seen this before but it didn't stick out till now. I don't have vacuum caps on my throttle body assemblies, instead I have a rats nest of vacuum tubes which run under the air accumulator and meet in a bunch of T's that then run to the under side of the car to something I'm not familiar with, except it isn't connected, the line has been severed. Good news is I've found the vacuum leak... I'll upload pics. it all seems strange to me as I have not seen this before, but I'm not expert with M88/3. Maybe someone can shed some light or at least agree it is weird.

Here is a pic of what should be a vacuum cap, but is a hose which leads to the next picture:

All six vacuum lines from the throttle body assemblies lead to this rat's nest of T's

This is where that line leads to, located front left underside of engine bay. I have no idea what that cylinder is:

But, as you can see the line is cut. Vacuum leak discovered. But, what is this?
L6
85 M635
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

And just as the fat line in the previous picture says, "fuel". It leads to the fuel tank. gives me a place to start anyway.

L6
85 M635
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

That could be a charcoal canister?? My car is "dirty" all the way as far as smog goes. It never had much done to it when it came in and what there was I took off. So I am guessing as it looks like the one I pulled.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

Yes, looking at realOEM fuel parts it is the best guess I came up with though none of the diagrams showed lines connecting it to throttle body assembly. Was the one you removed located in the same location as mine? Front/driver side forward of the tire and about even with radiator? I guess it may have been added when federalized? When you removed yours did you just plug the fuel/vapor line? And I assume you have caps on your throttle assembly as well?.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=13_0257 where #16 is part #11611437560
L6
85 M635
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

My total nut and bolt has been a nightmare project that has turned into 12 years. Never again will I do a car with modern technology. So, knowing that, all I can tell you is the canister was way forward in the passenger side wheel well. But it's so long ago, I don't remember what went where. I even took the vacuum lines out of my gas tank and put the factory vent lines in. I did the best I could on my car to put it back to pure German spec. The only fedding I left were bumper and door reinforcing which can't be seen. In AZ we are lucky. With classic car insurance we avoid smog inspection or one county over there are no smog inspections and both my brother in law and stepson have second homes there so I don't have to worry about my "warmed" up motor passing any silly tests
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

I don't have any smog worries either. Some inspection stations will do a visual check for a cat but that is as far as they go. The place I go just signs off on the inspection after only noting the mileage and VIN. I'm just trying to understand why the "charcoal canister" if that is what it is, goes from the fuel tank, to the canister to the "vacuum ports" next to the yellow CO adjustment screw caps. I suppose it was some cockamamie fed configuration 35 years ago that maybe captures some idle vapors or something at the throttle body and has remained on the car all this time. Who knows? Not me. After I rebuild the throttle bodies I'll put all back together with caps and see what happens.
L6
85 M635
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Just for kicks, look on realoem.com and see what it shows you Oh check this on EBay I think it confirms charcoal canister

Genuine BMW E24 E28 Vapor Canister Activated Charcoal Filter OEM 16131180463 paste that into the Ebay browser and it will take you right to it. Was just scanning ebay and that popped up
NRVOUS6

Post by NRVOUS6 »

Charcoal canister for sure.
85' BMW 635csi, 60k miles, Zinnoberot
01' DINAN 7 S62 Swap Six Speed - Stratus Grau
02' 4.6is DINAN X5 S2 Supercharged
833/3258 produced | 1/27 Dinan X5's
Greenville, NC
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Those springs are available from dealer. The needle bearings I got from ebay.

The rose joints in the actuating rods were sticky and were one of the biggest causes of the throttle sticking, but the underbonnet temperature with an aftermarket exhaust manifold (before having it coated) exacerbated it.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

85MSteinway wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 pm Now that I have the air accumulator removed, I've got a better picture of what is going on. I've only owned this car for few months and this is my first time digging around with tools. I should have seen this before but it didn't stick out till now. I don't have vacuum caps on my throttle body assemblies, instead I have a rats nest of vacuum tubes which run under the air accumulator and meet in a bunch of T's that then run to the under side of the car to something I'm not familiar with, except it isn't connected, the line has been severed. Good news is I've found the vacuum leak... I'll upload pics. it all seems strange to me as I have not seen this before, but I'm not expert with M88/3. Maybe someone can shed some light or at least agree it is weird.
I'd bet on them being added as part of the federalization process. My 85 M635 had much the same thing only the hoses ran over the top of the injectors.