Muffler

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gilach

Muffler

Post by gilach »

Looking for a quieter muffler for my 1981 Euro. Having a bit of a time trying to even locate a replacement. Any suggestions welcomed. Attached are pixs of existing muffler.
Muffler1.JPG
Muffler1.JPG (103.04 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Muffler1.JPG
Muffler1.JPG (103.04 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Attachments
Muffler2.JPG
Muffler2.JPG (147.26 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
EdwasRed

Re: Muffler

Post by EdwasRed »

I ran into the same issue with my '85 Euro M. I read threads here about Billy Boat and Super Sprint exhausts but it seemed they were louder than stock and could produce a droning noise at cruising speed not to mention cost.
On a whim I looked at Walker Mufflers and found that they in fact offered a system that appeared to fit. It is a one piece unit that connects after the header collector and is comprised of both resonator and muffler. I opted to cut out the resonator and run straight pipes from the collector to the muffler. I think that it sounds great and it looks like the original.
If you want to look into it, check out Walkerexhaust.com and look for part 47656.
Good luck!
1985 635CSi M Euro M88
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

I have a Bosal muffler on my 1985 635CSi than seems to fit well and sounds nice with no droning at speed.
Dave
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

But those Bosal mufflers I am told are NLA.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
bakemono

Post by bakemono »

I'm not sure how the e12-based and e28-based exhaust systems compare. It looks similar in your pic (although the muffler appears to be further forward?)

Your lack of resonator could be the cause of increased noise, unless the muffler is also significantly deteriorated.

On my e28-based 6er I installed the walker rear section several years back. It included both the resonator and muffler, unfortunately the connecting pipes were junk that rusted away in the blink of an eye. So I cut the muffler off and welded it onto another section that I bought which was made from better materials. I can't remember the brand of the latter part but whatever it was I recall that hangars on it were welded in the wrong place and had to be modified. When it comes to exhaust systems it seems you just can't win anymore.
'82 528e - M50B25 + GS6-37BZ
'83 633CSi - Megasquirt and a 3.46LSD
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Plus one on that lack of resonator comment :-({|=

This will not only increase the overall sound level but tends to drone at certain RPM's as well, without the resonator :-?

Since you have a Euro and apparently either don't have to deal with smog testing or are passing when you do, at least you don't need to be concerned with adding a cat =D>

I think that you are facing a downpipe back situation here, and not just a simple muffler exchange :-k

MHO applies, of course #-o
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black